Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars
Portland, Maine - The Richmond Flying Squirrels, in conjunction with the Eastern League of Professional Baseball, announced the rosters on Monday for the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game, which takes place at The Diamond on Wednesday, July 10 at 7:05 p.m. The Sea Dogs have pitchers Tanner Houck and Dedgar Jimenez, infielder Bobby Dalbec, and catcher Jhon Nunez on the Eastern Division roster.
Eastern Division Roster Western Division Roster
Houck is 7-4, 4.02 ERA (31 ER/69.2 IP) in 13 starts this season. The righty is tied for second in the league in wins and leads Portland with 69 strikeouts. Houck had a career-high 11 strikeouts on June 6th vs. Richmond, won a career-high three straight starts from April 15-27, and a season-high 14 scoreless innings from April 15-May 3.
Houck is ranked by Baseball America as Boston's #7 prospect and #6 according to MLB.com. The All-Star nod is the first in Tanner's career.
Jimenez is 2-3, 4.00 ERA (24 ER/54.0 IP) in 11 starts with Portland this season. The lefty had made two appearances with Triple-A Pawtucket from June 2-7. Jimenez and Houck lead the staff with seven quality starts, and Dedgar worked a season-high 13 scoreless innings from May 22-June 16.
The All-Star selection is the second in the career for Jimenez. He was named to the 2017 Carolina League All-Star Game while a member of the Salem Red Sox.
Dalbec is hitting .233 (54-for-232) with 14 HR and 37 RBI, and ranks among the Eastern League leaders in the following categories: HR (T-2nd), RBI (T-7th), OBP (.372, 7th), SLG (.466, 7th), OPS (.838, 5th), BB (45, 1st), and TB (108, T-7th).
On May 11th in Trenton, Dalbec hit three homers, the first 3-home run game in team history as a Red Sox affiliate (3rd overall). Dalbec has three multi-homer games and reached base safely in 60 of 67 games this season. Baseball America ranks Dalbec as the Top Prospect in Boston's system. The All-Star selection is the first of Dalbec's career.
Nunez is currently on the 7-day injured list but is hitting .302 (40-for-132), 4 HR, 13 RBI, eight doubles, triple in 39 games. The second-year Sea Dog has thrown out 33% of attempted base stealers and posted a .988 fielding percentage in 38 games behind the plate.
Nunez had a career-high four hits on June 7th vs. Bowie (4-for-5, HR, RBI), and was the catcher for Portland's 4th no-hitter in team history on April 25th at Binghamton. The All-Star selection is the first in Nunez's career.
The Flying Squirrels are hosting the event for the first time, and it is part of the four-day Eastern League All-Star Week presented by Genworth. The Eastern Division and Western Division rosters each include 26 total players, with 11 pitchers and 15 position players on each team.
Tickets for the Eastern League All-Star Game on July 10th and the Celebrity Home Run Derby on July 9th at The Diamond are available now at SquirrelsBaseball.com/AllStar. Tickets can also be purchased in person at the Flying Squirrels offices at The Diamond or by phone at 804-359-FUNN (3866).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.