Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton
(TRENTON, NJ) - The Reading Fightin Phils were no-hit in a nine-inning contest for the first time in nearly 16 years, as Deivi Garcia, Domingo Acevedo, and Daniel Alvarez combined on the sixth no-hitter in the Eastern League this season in Trenton's 7-0 win at Arm and Hammer Park.
The closest the Fightins came to breaking up the bid came with two outs in the ninth inning. With Darick Hall at first after a walk, Luke Williams hit a sharp grounder to second that backed up Hoy Jun Park. The second baseman made an off-balance throw to second attempting to get the force on Hall, but the throw was late. The play was ruled a fielder's choice.
Adam Haseley finished 0-for-3 after re-joining Reading on Monday on a rehab assignment, as he works his way back from a left groin strain. The 2017 first-round draft pick opened the year in Reading and hit .268 for the Fightin Phils before a promotion to Lehigh Valley on May 29. He played two games with the Philadelphia Phillies before he was placed on the injured list on June 8.
Reading suffered a nine-inning no-hit loss for the first time since August 24, 2003, when Horacio Estrada accomplished the feat for New Britain.
The Thunder (4-2) (42-29) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning, after Chris Gittens worked a nine-pitch at bat and drove a two-run homer just beyond the reach of Mickey Moniak in right.
Trenton added a third run in second inning by stringing together three consecutive one-out singles. Rashad Crawford's bloop to center scored Brandon Wagner to make it 3-0. Gittens added his third RBI of the night in the bottom of the fifth on a two-out single that scored Park.
The Fightins (3-4) (42-31) were held hitless by the Thunder starter Garcia through five innings, as the reigning Eastern League Pitcher of the Week struck out nine batters across five hitless in the start.
Williams was involved in an earlier potential-hit, when he pulled a soft one-hopper to the third base side of the hill that was gloved by Garcia in the fifth, and reached on a bang-bang play as Garcia's throw skipped past the first baseman Gittens for what was ruled a two-base error.
Trenton put up a pair more off Garrett Cleavinger in the seventh, and added an unearned run against Jonathan Hennigan in the eighth to make it 7-0.
Garica finished off five hitless frames, permitting just a pair of walks and a hit batter while striking out nine.
Acevedo added two hitless in relief, permitting one walk, and Daniel Alvarez finished off the final two frames.
The Fightins continue their six-game road trip with game two of the series at Trenton on Tuesday. Mauricio Llovera takes the hill for Reading opposed by Albert Abreu, with first pitch at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcast on 610 ESPN and the Fightins radio network beginning at 6:30 p.m.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase tickets at the Seidel Auto Group Deck TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL, and download the Fightins game and promotional schedule at fightins.com/calendar.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.