Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2
Harrisburg Senators third baseman Adrian Sanchez hit a walk-off infield single in the bottom of the 10th inning to give his team a 3-2, series-opening win over the Akron RubberDucks (2-5 second half, 36-40 overall) at FNB Field Monday night.
With a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 10th inning, Senators center fielder Hunter Jones began at second base against Akron right-hander Robert Broom (0-1). Second baseman Luis Garcia placed a bunt single down the third-base line and took second base on defensive indifference. Sanchez grounded a ball to the middle that second baseman Andruw Monasterio dove to stop, but Jones scored the winning run ahead of the throw.
RubberDucks All-Star right-hander Eli Morgan allowed single runs in the first and fifth innings, lasting six innings for the fifth time in his last seven starts. He also has allowed two earned runs or fewer in each of his first nine Eastern League starts. Left-hander Anthony Gose worked around two walks for a scoreless seventh inning, and Broom pitched two perfect innings - including striking out the side in the eighth inning - to send the game to extra innings. For Harrisburg, right-hander Tyler Mapes allowed two earned runs in 5 1/3 innings, left-hander Taylor Guilbeau worked 2 2/3 scoreless innings, and right-hander Ronald Pena (1-1) pitched scoreless ninth and 10th innings.
Trailing 2-0 through five innings, Akron rallied to tie the game in the sixth. All-Stars Ka'ai Tom and Connor Marabell doubled and singled, respectively, to left field, where Dante Bichette Jr. misplayed Marabell's single to allow Tom to score. Center fielder Alex Call , and a Sanchez error at shortstop loaded the bases. Guilbeau entered to allow shortstop Alexis Pantoja 's game-tying single, but induced a double play, starting Senators pitching retiring the last 13 Akron batters.
The Senators, who won the Western Division first half, beat the RubberDucks for the first time in four meetings this season...The RubberDucks lost their fourth straight game, including each of the last two in 10 innings...Akron is now 6-8 in extra-inning games (3-4 both at home and on the road) and 6-13 (3-6 on the road) in one-run games...Time of game: 2:39...Attendance: 2,883.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks continue their series in Harrisburg at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. Akron LHP Adam Scott (1-0, 9.53) is scheduled to face Senators RHP Steven Fuentes (3-2, 1.97). The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.