Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils
Deivi Garcia, Domingo Acevedo, and Daniel Alvarez made Thunder history Monday night, combining to no-hit the Reading Fightin Phils in a 6-0 win in front of a crowd of 5,121 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
The no-no was the fourth nine-inning no-hitter in Thunder history and the first since Justus Sheffield and Taylor Widener combined to no-hit the Binghamton Rumble Ponies on September 8, 2017, in the third game of the Eastern Division Championship Series. It was also the sixth no-hitter in the Eastern League this season, the most in an E.L. campaign since 1971.
Garcia (4-2) hit Adam Haseley with a pitch to lead off the game, but the right-hander proceeded to retire the next 11 batters he faced en route to a nine-strikeout, two-walk performance over his five innings.
Acevedo held Reading (3-4, 42-32) to one baserunner via a walk over two innings in relief of Garcia, and Alvarez pitched the final two frames, working around a pair of baserunners in the ninth. Alvarez issued a one-out walk to Derek Hall, who, two batters later, beat out a throw to short from second baseman Hoy Jun Park in a force play attempt. Arquimedes Gamboa then flied out to center field to seal the no-hitter.
The three Thunder (4-2, 42-29) pitchers combined for 12 strikeouts in the contest.
Chris Gittens led the Thunder offense with three RBI in the game, including a two-run homer in the first inning and an RBI-single in the fifth. Rashad Crawford contributed a second-inning RBI-single, and Kyle Holder and Mandy Alvarez added RBI-doubles in the seventh and eighth innings, respectively.
Fightin Phils starter Bailey Falter (5-5) took the loss, surrendering four runs on eight hits across five innings.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. against the Fightin Phils. RHP Albert Abreu (4-5, 3.64) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Mauricio Llovera (2-3, 4.35) will go for Reading. The first 1,500 fans ages 14 and up will receive a Bat Boy Tommy Bobblehead, presented by Special Olympics of New Jersey. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.