Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars
(READING, PA) - Former first overall draft pick Mickey Moniak is among four Fightin Phils players named to the Eastern League Eastern Division All-Star team, as announced by the league office on Monday.
Along with Moniak, first baseman Darick Hall and pitchers Adonis Medina and Addison Russ will represent Reading in the EL All-Star Game in Richmond, VA. The midsummer classic will take place on Wednesday, July 10 with first pitch at 7:05 p.m.
Moniak, 21, was selected by the Phillies first overall in the 2016 draft out of La Costa Canyon High School (CA). In his first 68 games with Reading, the outfielder batted .268 with eight triples, three homers, and 36 RBIs, while going 7-for-8 in stolen base attempts. Moniak hit .290 in the month of May, and was batting .309 in his first 22 games in June.
Hall, 23, earned All-Star honors for the second straight year, as he was also named a Florida State League representative in 2018. Through 68 games, the powerful first baseman crushed 14 homers and led the EL with 51 RBIs. Hall was drafted in the 14th round in 2016 out of Dallas Baptist University.
Rated as the top pitching prospect in the Phillies system, Medina carried a 4.05 ERA through his first 12 Double-A starts, including a 3.32 ERA in the first half. The 22-year-old right-hander out of Santo Domingo Centro, Dominican Republic, limited opponents to a .219 average in the first half of the season.
Serving primarily as the team's closer, Russ put up a 1.63 ERA in 27 appearances in the first half, earning nine saves. In 27.2 innings, the 24-year-old racked up 39 strikeouts. Russ, who earned South Atlantic League All-Star honors with the Lakewood BlueClaws a season ago, was drafted in the 19th round out of Houston Baptist in 2017.
The Eastern League All-Star game begins at 7:05 p.m. at The Diamond in Richmond on Wednesday, July 10. Tickets for the event and more information on All-Star Week in Richmond are available at https://www.milb.com/richmond/events/all-star.
America's Classic Ballpark is proud to be a part of Pennsylvania's Americana Region and was voted the #1 stadium in all of Double-A by MiLB's Ben Hill. Follow the Fightins on Twitter at @ReadingFightins and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/fightins. Purchase tickets at the Seidel Auto Group Deck TODAY - call or TEXT 610-370-BALL, and download the Fightins game and promotional schedule at fightins.com/calendar.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.