Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game
CURVE, Pa. - The Eastern League of Professional Baseball revealed the rosters for the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game with three players chosen to represent the Altoona Curve, the team announced on Monday. The game will be played on Wednesday, July 10 at The Diamond in Richmond, Va. at 7:05 p.m.
Right-handed pitchers James Marvel and Pedro Vasquez along with catcher Jason Delay will play for the Western Division team during the mid-season showcase. Vasquez picks up his second career All-Star nod after he was named a Mid-Season All-Star in the Florida State League in 2017 with A-Adv. Bradenton. For Marvel and Delay, it is the first All-Star nominations of their professional careers.
Marvel, a 36th-round selection in 2015 out of Duke, was the Opening Day starter for the Curve and leads the club with seven wins, which ranks second in the E.L. Marvel garnered Pitcher of the Week honors for April 15-21 that was highlighted by a seven-inning, complete-game shutout in Richmond during the first game of a double-header and went on to pitch 20.2 consecutive scoreless innings from April 15-May 1. The righty from the Bay Area is ranked second in the league with 85.2 innings pitched and 10th with 71 strikeouts.
Vasquez was acquired by the Pirates from the Seattle Mariners as a player-to-be-named in the 2016 Arquimedes Caminero trade. In 2019, the right-hander leads Eastern League pitchers in winning percentage (.860, 6-1). Additionally, he ranks sixth in the league with a 2.24 ERA, seventh with a 1.00 WHIP and his .222 batting average stands eighth on the circuit. Vasquez, a native of the Dominican Republic, had a brief, two-game stint with Triple-A Indianapolis at the end of May before returning to Double-A Altoona to win three of his four starts in June.
Delay, a fourth-round draft choice in 2017 from Vanderbilt, is the first Curve catcher since Elias Diaz in 2014 to be named an E.L. All-Star. Over 33 games behind the plate for Altoona, the Plano, Texas native has hit five homers, seven doubles and driven in 24 RBIs, which are all career highs. Delay's .784 OPS is second among all Eastern League backstops with at least 100 plate appearances.
Full rosters for the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game are listed below:
WESTERN DIVISION ROSTER
Pitchers (11): Melvin Adon (Richmond), Caleb Baragar (Richmond), Ben Braymer (Harrisburg), Zac Lowther (Bowie), Matt Manning (Erie), James Marvel (Altoona), Casey Mize (Erie), Eli Morgan (Akron), Kyle Nelson (Akron), Pedro Vasquez (Altoona), Alex Wells (Bowie)
Catchers (2): Tres Barrera (Harrisburg), Jason Delay (Altoona)
Infielders (8): Jonah Arenado (Richmond), Rylan Bannon (Bowie), Wilson Garcia (Akron)*, Zach Houchins (Richmond), Mason McCoy (Bowie), Jalen Miller (Richmond), Isaac Paredes (Erie), Ian Sagdal (Harrisburg)
Outfielders (5): Jose Azocar (Erie), Jacob Heyward (Richmond), Connor Marabell (Akron), Ka'ai Tom (Akron), Rhett Wiseman (Harrisburg)
EASTERN DIVISION ROSTER
Pitchers (11): Daniel Alvarez (Trenton), Logan Cozart (Hartford), Deivi Garcia (Trenton), Harol Gonzalez (Binghamton), Alexander Guillen (Hartford), Tanner Houck (Portland), Dedgar Jimenez (Portland), Zach Logue (New Hampshire), Adonis Medina (Reading), Addison Russ (Reading), Adonis Uceta (Binghamton)
Catchers (2): Patrick Mazeika (Binghamton), Jhon Nunez (Portland)
Infielders (9): Bobby Dalbec (Portland), Santiago Espinal (New Hampshire), Chris Gittens (Trenton), Sam Haggerty (Binghamton)*, Darick Hall (Reading), Nash Knight (New Hampshire), Hoy Jun Park (Trenton), Alan Trejo (Hartford), Colton Welker (Hartford)
Outfielders (4): Braxton Lee (Binghamton), Mickey Moniak (Reading), Ben Ruta (Trenton), Forrest Wall (New Hampshire)
*Garcia and Haggerty have been selected but are unable to play
Full All-Star Game rosters are attached.
Celebrating their 10th season in the Double-A Eastern League, the Richmond Flying Squirrels are hosting their first mid-season all-star game. Tickets for the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game and other events during the All-Star Week can be purchased at SquirrelsBaseball.com/AllStar or by calling 804-359-FUNN.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Senators walk off RubberDucks in 10-inning series opener, 3-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- SeaWolves Drop Game Two in Binghamton 3-0 - Erie SeaWolves
- Three Thunder Hurlers Combine to No-Hit Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Drop Second Straight, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Reading No-Hit in 7-0 Loss at Trenton - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Open Road Trip with Win in Maryland - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs with a Big Third, Beat the 'Cats 8-4 in the Series Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sens Walk Off Ducks 3-2 in 10 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Drop Completion of Suspended Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Four SeaWolves Named Eastern League All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- Moniak Among Four Fightins Named EL All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 24th vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #69 Rumble Ponies (2-3) vs. Erie SeaWolves (4-0) - 5:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Four Fisher Cats Voted to Eastern League All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Four Yard Goats Named to Eastern League All-Star Team - Hartford Yard Goats
- Four Baysox Named 2019 All-Stars - Bowie Baysox
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game Rosters Announced - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Six Flying Squirrels Selected for Eastern League All-Star Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Five Rumble Ponies Named to 2019 All-Star Roster - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Five RubberDucks Named to El All-Star Team - Akron RubberDucks
- Five Thunder Players Named 2019 Eastern League All-Stars - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Sending Three Players to 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game - Altoona Curve
- Dalbec, Houck, Jimenez, and Nunez Named Eastern League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Rosters Announced - EL
- Homestand Preview #7: Ginuwine Comes Home - Bowie Baysox
- Brusa Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Deivi Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 17th-June 23rd - EL
- Tendler Ends Weekend with Sea Dogs Stunner - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.