Cyclones Come Back to Hammer Nailers in Overtime
Wheeling, WV - The Cincinnati Cyclones (26-10-6-0) picked up a 3-2, come-from-behind overtime win over the Wheeling Nailers on Friday night. Forwards Darik Angel iand Mason Mitchell scored the goals in regulation, while defenseman Frank Hora scored the winner in overtime.
After the Nailers took a 1-0 lead after the first period on a goal from forward Cam Brown , the added a second at the 15:14 mark of the middle frame when forward Brandon Hawkins lit the lamp to put Wheeling up, 2-0, through 40 minutes.
Cincinnati began their comeback 9:53 into the third while on the power play when Angeli snapped in a shot from the left circle to cut the Cyclones deficit in half, 2-1. Roughly six minutes later, Cincinnati tied the game when Mitchell snuck a wrister up under the crossbar and by Nailers goaltender Jordan Ruby to tie the game, 2-2.
Both teams had a few more quality chances in the remainder of regulation, however the 2-2 score held up and the sides headed into overtime. In the extra session, Cincinnati completed their comeback with 2:20 left when forward Ben Johnson slid a pass across to Hora on the left side, and he fired home the game winner to lift the Cyclones to a 3-2, come-from-behind win.
Cincinnati outshot Wheeling, 36-22 on the evening, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 20 in the win. Houser had a minor equipment issue late in the third, and was replaced by Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, who played the final 4:08 of regulation. He made a save on the only shot he face.
Cincinnati and Wheeling wrap up their weekend series on Saturday night, with the face-off slated for 7:05pm.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 24, 2020
- Rapid City Grabs OT Win vs. Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Stellar Comeback Bid Pays off as Walleye Edge Gladiators in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- Four Score: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Win Fourth Straight - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fort Wayne Defeats Indy in a Shootout - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Take Idaho to the Limit, But Fall in Shootout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ross Scores in Debut as Stingrays Defeat the Ads, 4-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- 3 Royals Tally Multiple Points to Defeat Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Thunder Ride First Period Momentum into Win over Beast - Brampton Beast
- Steelheads Tame Mavericks in 4-3 Shootout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Dulled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Snag a Point in SO Loss in Toledo - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thompson Shuts Down Admirals in 4-1 Win for Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Come Back to Hammer Nailers in Overtime - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Blast Railers with Franchise Record Eight Goals - Maine Mariners
- Nailers Pick up One Point against Divsion Leader - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Suffer 8-1 Loss to Maine in Return from All-Star Break - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Top the Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Five Different Goal Scorers Help Tame Beast in 5-3 Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Howdeshell Returns from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - January 24 - ECHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Zachary Fucale from Loan to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Return to Home Ice, Host Swamp Rabbits - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Gameday Gear up - January 24th - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Start the Post All Star Break Tonight in Utah - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Receive Brown, Abt, Kim from AHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Atwal, Maclise Return to 'Blades from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Royals Look to Tame Red-Hot Growlers - Reading Royals
- Coughler, Bird Team up to Help Solar Bears Thaw IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.