Coyotes Name Steve Potvin as Roadrunners Head Coach
GLENDALE, ARIZONA - Arizona Coyotes General Manager Bill Armstrong announced today that Steve Potvin has been named as the head coach of the Tucson Roadrunners. John Slaney will continue to serve as an assistant coach for the Roadrunners. Former Roadrunners Head Coach Jay Varady joined the Coyotes coaching staff on January 14, 2021. As per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
Potvin has served as an assistant coach for the Roadrunners since 2017. Over the past three seasons, he helped former head coaches Jay Varady and Mike Van Ryn guide the club to two division championships and an 112-65-16 overall record.
"We are very pleased to select Steve as the new head coach of the Roadrunners," said Armstrong. "Steve is a very good coach who has done an excellent job working with our prospects in Tucson the past three years. We are confident that he is the right coach to continue the development of our players and help build a winning culture in Tucson."
"It's an honor to be named head coach of the Roadrunners," said Potvin. "We have a great group of players in Tucson and I'm looking forward to developing our prospects while building upon the winning foundation that we've established."
Prior to joining the Roadrunners, Potvin served one season as the Coyotes skills coach in 2016-17 where he focused on player assessment and individual skill improvement with players at both the NHL and AHL levels.
The Montreal, QC native joined the Coyotes after a 16-year professional career that included 478 professional AHL and top European league games. The former forward registered 31-44-75 in 158 career AHL contests. Potvin also collected 133 goals and 184 assists in 350 games over 10 seasons in Europe.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2021
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Max Jones from San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Q and A with New Coach Steve Potvin - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Announce Roster for 2021 Training Camp - Hershey Bears
- Noah Segall Named Video Coordinator - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Eagles Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Eagles
- Coyotes Name Steve Potvin as Roadrunners Head Coach - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hockey Is Back in the Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- American Hockey League Announces 2020-21 Schedule - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Roadrunners Release AHL Regular Season Schedule - Tucson Roadrunners
- Devils Announce 34-Game Regular-Season Schedule - Binghamton Devils
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2020-21 Season - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Announce Schedule, 2021-22 Season Ticket Memberships - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Texas Stars Reveal Complete 2020-21 Season Schedule - Texas Stars
- Griffins Release 2020-21 Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Rochester Americans
- Condors Announce 2020-21 Schedule - Bakersfield Condors
- Comets Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Utica Comets
- IceHogs Reveal 2020-21 Preseason and Regular Season Schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Announces Full 2020-2021 Schedule - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Gulls 2020-21 Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda 2020-21 Regular Season Game and Broadcast Schedule Announced - San Jose Barracuda
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Syracuse Crunch
- Reign Announce 2020-21 Regular-Season Schedule - Ontario Reign
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2020-21 Regular-Season Schedule Presented by SeatGeek - Cleveland Monsters
- Chicago Wolves Unveil 2020-21 Schedule - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces 2020-21 Schedule - AHL
- Roadrunners Home Opener Slated for February 18 - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Jose Gets Best of Gulls in Preseason Meeting - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.