Comets Thwarted by Bruins in Providence
Providence, R.I. - The Utica Comets were provided a 23-save performance from Ivan Kulbakov and a goal from Vincent Arseneau, but they couldn't overcome the timely attack of the Providence Bruins during a 3-1 loss on Sunday at Dunkin Donuts Center.
Picking up where they left off a night before, the Comets needed just 4:19 of action to earn the first goal of the night. Stefan LeBlanc controlled the puck at the point before finding Wacey Hamilton, who fed Vincent Arseneau for a quick-strike wrister over the leg of Zane McIntyre. Arseneau's eighth of the season was the lone goal in the opening period, as the Comets outshot the Bruins, 10-8.
A back-and-forth second period was a defensive struggle, until the Bruins used a four-minute power play to draw even. Finding a soft spot, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson received a pass and lifted it over the shoulder of Kulbakov for his sixth of the season. The late-period goal sent the teams into the second intermission in a 1-1 stalemate.
Providence continued to pressure early in the third period and their efforts were rewarded with Paul Carey's seeing-eye wrist shot at 7:13. Carey's goal flew past traffic in front of Kulbakov's net and sailed into the top corner for his 26th of the year.
The Bruins put the game away with an empty netter from Anton Blidh at the 18:23 mark, closing the door on any comeback effort from Utica.
The Comets are back at it Friday night against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is at 7 p.m. Fans are encouraged to use the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2019
- Roadrunners' Push Stymied by Petersen, Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Earn Win over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Blackhawks Reassign Lankinen to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Earn Valuable Point - Chicago Wolves
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Set Franchise Record with 10 Goals in Win over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Melts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Wild, High-Scoring Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Offense Erupts in the 6-2 Win, Behind Five Second Period Goals - Stockton Heat
- Fogarty and Gropp Propel Pack over Binghamton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Inch Closer to Playoffs with 3-1 Win over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Bears Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thwarted by Bruins in Providence - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack, 6-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Leslie Collects Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Shoot Down Thunderbirds 5-0 in Home Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Get Payback to Earn Split of Weekend Series with T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Manitoba Moose
- Red Wings Assign Eight to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tucson at Ontario Game Preview - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Concludes Season Series with Manitoba Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Canes Recall Bean from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Englund Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Nathan Walker Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Loan Corban Knight and Mark Friedman to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- 2019 Playoff Ticket Packages Available Now - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.