Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves
CHICAGO, IL. - Colorado Eagles goaltender Spencer Martin made 28 saves on 30 shots and shutdown three of Chicago's four shooters in a shootout to backstop the Eagles to a 3-2 victory over the Wolves on Sunday. Eagles forward Logan O'Connor notched a goal and an assist in the win, while fellow forward Andrew Agozzino posted a pair of assists. The win gives Colorado two more points in the standings with only two games remaining in the regular season.
Colorado would be first to draw blood in the contest when O'Connor grabbed a feed from behind the net off the tape of Agozzino and powered a one-timer into the back of the net. The goal was O'Connor's 18th of the season and gave the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 10:29 mark of the first period. Colorado would go on to outshoot Chicago 18-6 in the opening 20 minutes and would take that 1-0 advantage into the first intermission.
The Eagles would stretch their lead in the second period when defenseman Anton Lindholm fired a shot from the left point that would beat Wolves goalie Max Lagace and put Colorado on top 2-0 with 4:01 left to play in the middle frame.
An Eagles penalty would then put Chicago on the power play and the Wolves would take advantage, as forward Stefan Matteau would throw a puck through the top of the crease, deflecting it off the skates of a Colorado player and into the back of the net. The goal would cut the Eagles lead to 2-1 at the 17:33 mark of the second stanza.
Moving into the third period, Chicago would tie things up when forward Ty McGinn belted a one-timer from the bottom of the left circle past Martin to level the score at 2-2 at the 8:14 mark of the period.
Still deadlocked at 2-2 at the end of regulation, the two teams would head to a sudden-death overtime where Martin would make several big saves. After the five minutes had expired the game moved on to a shootout. Michael Joly and A.J. Greer would both light the lamp, while Martin denied three of the four shooters he faced to secure the 3-2 victory.
The Eagles will be back in action when they return home to host the San Jose Barracuda on Friday, April 12th at 7:05pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2019
- Roadrunners' Push Stymied by Petersen, Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Earn Win over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Blackhawks Reassign Lankinen to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Earn Valuable Point - Chicago Wolves
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Set Franchise Record with 10 Goals in Win over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Melts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Wild, High-Scoring Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Offense Erupts in the 6-2 Win, Behind Five Second Period Goals - Stockton Heat
- Fogarty and Gropp Propel Pack over Binghamton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Inch Closer to Playoffs with 3-1 Win over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Bears Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thwarted by Bruins in Providence - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack, 6-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Leslie Collects Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Shoot Down Thunderbirds 5-0 in Home Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Get Payback to Earn Split of Weekend Series with T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Manitoba Moose
- Red Wings Assign Eight to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tucson at Ontario Game Preview - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Concludes Season Series with Manitoba Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Canes Recall Bean from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Englund Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Nathan Walker Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Loan Corban Knight and Mark Friedman to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- 2019 Playoff Ticket Packages Available Now - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- MacDonald Named AHL Second Team All-Star
- Colorado Eagles Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 AHL Regular Season and Playoffs
- Colorado Signs Goaltender Peyton Jones
- Wagner Re-Signs with Eagles for 2020-21 Season
- Eagles Sign Forward Charlie Gerard for 2020-21 Season