P-Bruins Inch Closer to Playoffs with 3-1 Win over Comets
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Utica Comets 3-1 Sunday afternoon in the home half of their home-and-home series. The P-Bruins got their goals from Paul Carey, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson and Anton Blidh while Zane McIntyre made his 44th start of the season in net.
Utica's Brandon Arseneau tallied the first goal of the game and his eighth of the season at 4:19. Wacey Hamilton and Stefan LeBlanc earned the assists on the play that gave the Comets an early 1-0 lead. Providence struggled to keep up as the Comets continued to keep tight defense while outshooting the team 10-8. Despite two power plays for the P-Bruins, Utica held their 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The Comets maintained their 1-0 lead throughout the beginning of the second period, but Providence was determined to tie the score. Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson lit the lamp with his sixth goal of the season at 16:42, beating Ivan Kulbakov with a wrister from the right circle. Cooper Zech and Peter Cehlarik earned helpers on the power play goal that helped the P-Bruins tie the game 1-1 after two.
The P-Bruins stayed strong and took the lead when Paul Carey netted his 26th goal of the season at 7:13. Stuart Percy and Jordan Szwarz earned assists on the play and Providence took their first lead of the game 2-1. Utica pulled Kulbakov hoping to use their forward advantage to catch up, bit strategy immediately backfired. Off assists from Carey and Jeremy Lauzon, Anton Blidh netted an empty netter at 18:23 to give Providence a 3-1 win.
McIntyre stopped 24 shots while Kulbakov stopped 22 shots. Providence was 1-5 on the power play and 2-2 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back at the Dunk for their last weekend of the regular season Friday April 12 when they take on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2019
- Roadrunners' Push Stymied by Petersen, Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Earn Win over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Blackhawks Reassign Lankinen to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Earn Valuable Point - Chicago Wolves
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Set Franchise Record with 10 Goals in Win over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Melts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Wild, High-Scoring Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Offense Erupts in the 6-2 Win, Behind Five Second Period Goals - Stockton Heat
- Fogarty and Gropp Propel Pack over Binghamton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Inch Closer to Playoffs with 3-1 Win over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Bears Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thwarted by Bruins in Providence - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack, 6-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Leslie Collects Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Shoot Down Thunderbirds 5-0 in Home Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Get Payback to Earn Split of Weekend Series with T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Manitoba Moose
- Red Wings Assign Eight to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tucson at Ontario Game Preview - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Concludes Season Series with Manitoba Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Canes Recall Bean from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Englund Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Nathan Walker Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Loan Corban Knight and Mark Friedman to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- 2019 Playoff Ticket Packages Available Now - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.