Checkers Get Payback to Earn Split of Weekend Series with T-Birds
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (31-28-8-5) could not complete a weekend sweep, as the Charlotte Checkers (49-17-7-1) responded with a 5-0 win on Sunday inside Bojangles' Coliseum.
Charlotte, like Saturday night, jumped to the early lead. This time around, it took just 38 seconds for Roland McKeown to blast a drop pass through Sam Montembeault to give the Checkers the 1-0 advantage.
At the other end, Dustin Tokarski got his first start against Springfield as a member of the Checkers and did his job, stopping all seven Springfield attempts in the first period. The action was overshadowed by a pair of fights in the opening frame. After delivering a late hit early in the period, Zack Stortini was challenged by Bobby Farnham. Later on, Joel Lowry also took to fisticuffs as he scrapped with Derek Sheppard.
After hitting the crossbar earlier in the period, Aleksi Saarela would not miss late in the period, scoring his second goal of the weekend on a beautiful move to the left side of Montembeault's net before lifting a wrister up into the top shelf at 18:27.
Charlotte would not slow down when the game got into the middle period, as Trevor Carrick slapped one through Montembeault at 5:55 to extend the lead to 3-0. After both teams failed with a couple of power play chances, the Checkers added to their lead at even strength, with Morgan Geekie beating Montembeault off a centering look from Saarela at 17:30.
After scoring all even-strength goals in the first 40 minutes, the Checkers added a power play strike from Julien Gauthier at the 7:18 mark of the third to make it 5-0.
The Thunderbirds return home for their final two home games of the season on Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13 against Bridgeport and Providence respectively. The puck drops each night at 7:05 p.m.
Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-2020 ticket memberships are on sale now and include the best benefits of being a Thunderbirds ticket holder. To learn more about memberships and single game tickets, visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com or call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2019
- Roadrunners' Push Stymied by Petersen, Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Earn Win over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Blackhawks Reassign Lankinen to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Earn Valuable Point - Chicago Wolves
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Set Franchise Record with 10 Goals in Win over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Melts Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Wild, High-Scoring Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Heat Offense Erupts in the 6-2 Win, Behind Five Second Period Goals - Stockton Heat
- Fogarty and Gropp Propel Pack over Binghamton - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Inch Closer to Playoffs with 3-1 Win over Comets - Providence Bruins
- Bears Clinch Berth in 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thwarted by Bruins in Providence - Utica Comets
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack, 6-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Leslie Collects Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Shoot Down Thunderbirds 5-0 in Home Finale - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Get Payback to Earn Split of Weekend Series with T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Moose Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Manitoba Moose
- Red Wings Assign Eight to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tucson at Ontario Game Preview - Tucson Roadrunners
- Stockton Concludes Season Series with Manitoba Sunday - Stockton Heat
- Canes Recall Bean from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Englund Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Nathan Walker Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Flyers Loan Corban Knight and Mark Friedman to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- 2019 Playoff Ticket Packages Available Now - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds Bounce Back, Smack Wolf Pack, 4-1
- Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat
- T-Birds Battle Back Late to Secure Point vs. Bruins
- Springfield Thunderbirds Sign Five-Year Affiliation Agreement with Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues
- T-Birds & Bruins Begin Home-And-Home Set Friday