Colorado Closes out Road Trip with 5-0 Loss to Heat
STOCKTON, CA. - The Stockton Heat scored 26 seconds into the first period and never looked back, as they defeated the Colorado Eagles 5-0 on Monday. Goaltender Artyom Zagidulin earned his second shutout of the season with 18 saves on 18 shots. Forward Byron Froese led the way for the Heat, netting a pair of goals in the victory. Stockton controlled the pace of play, outshooting the Eagles 43-18.
Stockton would jump on top just 26 seconds into the contest when forward Buddy Robinson skated to the top of the right-wing circle and buried a shot to give the Heat an early 1-0 edge. Colorado would earn three power plays in the first period, but Stockton put the brakes on all of them and headed to the first intermission still holding on to a 1-0 advantage.
An Eagles turnover in their own zone set up Froese to wrap behind the net before feeding a shot past Colorado goaltender Adam Werner, extending Stockton's lead to 2-0 at the 4:30 mark of the middle frame. The Heat would pour on 14 shots in the second period, as the two teams headed to the second intermission with Stockton still on top, 2-0.
Stockton would continue to pour on the offense in the third period, outshooting the Eagles 14-7 in the final frame. The scoring would also continue, as forward Alex Gallant capitalized on a Colorado turnover with a shot from the low slot that would light the lamp. The tally would stretch the Heat's lead to 3-0 at the 3:14 mark of the period.
Minutes later, forward Glen Gawdin would skate through the left-wing circle and snap a wrist shot that would find the back of the net and make it a 4-0 Stockton advantage with 12:38 remaining in the contest. A Heat power play late in regulation would cap off the scoring, as Froese camped at the side of the net and tipped a pass behind Werner to give the Heat a 5-0 lead at the 18:35 mark of the third period.
The Eagles finished the afternoon going 0-for-5 on the power play, while Stockton went 1-for-4 on the man-advantage.
The Eagles return to action when they take on the San Antonio Rampage on Friday, January 24th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2020
- Petersen Strong in Shutout Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout by Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Snap Skid with Shutout Win over Eagles - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Huge Community Tuesday - Chicago Wolves
- Colorado Closes out Road Trip with 5-0 Loss to Heat - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Storms Back for 4-2 Victory against Texas - Iowa Wild
- Jets Recall Kristian Vesalainen from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Wild Comeback to Top Stars 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Post Game Notes: Stars 2 at Wild 4 - Texas Stars
- Sens Win in First Visit to Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Comeback Effort Falls Short in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Utica's Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Utica Comets
- Luukkonen Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Heat Look to Halt Skid Monday against Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Englund Thankful for Extended Look with Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Recall Forward German Rubtsov - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at IceHogs, January 20 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly: January 20, 2020 - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Weekly: January 20 - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction