Heat Snap Skid with Shutout Win over Eagles
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Heat put an emphatic end to a brief three-game skid with a 5-0 shutout win over the Colorado Eagles Monday afternoon at Stockton Arena. Netminder Artyom Zagidulin made 18 saves in the contest, while Byron Froese potted a pair of goals and Buddy Robinson and Glenn Gawdin each accounted for a goal and an assist in the game. The Heat took the early edge in the matinee, Robinson lighting the lamp just 26 seconds into the contest, then doubled the lead to 2-0 through two periods with a goal from Byron Froese. Alex Gallant, Gawdin then punctuated the win with goals in the final frame. The contest was Zagidulin's second shutout over the last 10 days and Stockton's third since New Year's Eve. The Heat will close out the pre-All-Star break portion of the schedule with a Friday home date against the Ontario Reign.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (18 shots, 18 saves)
L: Adam Werner (43 shots, 38 saves)
Three Stars: First - Byron Froese (2g), Second - Artyom Zagidulin (18 svs), Third - Buddy Robinson (1g,1a)
Shots On Goal: STK - 43, COL - 18
Power Plays: STK - 1-4, COL - 0-5
- Buddy Robinson opened the scoring 26 seconds into the game, his team-leading 16th goal of the season. It was the fastest goal to open a game and fastest at the start of any period this season for Stockton.
- With two assists Monday, Austin Czarnik now has eight points (3g,5a) in Stockton's last seven games.
- Alex Gallant's score in the third period gives him a goal in back-to-back games. Sam Kurker picked up his first point as a member of the Heat with a helper on the goal.
- With two points in the game and now a team-leading 38 on the season, Glenn Gawdin has matched his rookie season scoring output.
- Byron Froese scored two in a game for the second time this season.
- Artyom Zagidulin recorded his second shutout in the last 10 days, Stockton's third of the season.
The Heat will host the Ontario Reign on Friday at 7 p.m. in the team's final game before the AHL All-Star break.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2020
- Petersen Strong in Shutout Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout by Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Snap Skid with Shutout Win over Eagles - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Huge Community Tuesday - Chicago Wolves
- Colorado Closes out Road Trip with 5-0 Loss to Heat - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Storms Back for 4-2 Victory against Texas - Iowa Wild
- Jets Recall Kristian Vesalainen from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Wild Comeback to Top Stars 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Post Game Notes: Stars 2 at Wild 4 - Texas Stars
- Sens Win in First Visit to Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Comeback Effort Falls Short in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Utica's Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Utica Comets
- Luukkonen Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Heat Look to Halt Skid Monday against Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Englund Thankful for Extended Look with Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Recall Forward German Rubtsov - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at IceHogs, January 20 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly: January 20, 2020 - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Weekly: January 20 - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.