Sens Win in First Visit to Rockford
The Belleville Senators made it a winning start at the BMO Harris Bank Center as they grabbed a 3-0 win over the Rockford IceHogs in their first ever visit.
Filip Gustavsson made 23 saves for Belleville to earn his first career AHL shutout. Josh Norris, Alex Formenton and Joseph LaBate had goals for the Senators. Kevin Lankinen stopped 26 shots for the IceHogs.
It was another scoreless first period for the Senators but they opened the scoring 3:10 into the second on Norris' 22nd goal of the year. Logan Brown was able to find the Sens' rookie back door and he made no mistake for a 1-0 Belleville lead.
Rockford had a couple of chances to find the tying goal but were thwarted by the Sens: first Corrado blocked a John Quenneville shot with a wide-open net before Gustavsson denied Joseph Cramarossa on a breakaway to preserve the Senators lead through 40 minutes.
The lead was doubled 2:49 into the third as Norris sent Formenton in with a lovely stretch pass from his own zone and he beat Lankinen blocker side for his 21st.
It was 3-0 at 5:48 as Parker Kelly centered out front from behind the Rockford net to LaBate who went high for his sixth of the season.
Belleville is back in action Tuesday when they visit Milwaukee for the very first time. The Sens aren't home until Saturday when they host the Comets on Bell Let's Talk night. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2020
- Petersen Strong in Shutout Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Shutout by Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Snap Skid with Shutout Win over Eagles - Stockton Heat
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Huge Community Tuesday - Chicago Wolves
- Colorado Closes out Road Trip with 5-0 Loss to Heat - Colorado Eagles
- Iowa Storms Back for 4-2 Victory against Texas - Iowa Wild
- Jets Recall Kristian Vesalainen from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 20 - Manitoba Moose
- Wild Comeback to Top Stars 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Post Game Notes: Stars 2 at Wild 4 - Texas Stars
- Sens Win in First Visit to Rockford - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Comets, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Comeback Effort Falls Short in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack Recall Jeff Taylor from Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Utica's Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Justin Bailey Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Utica Comets
- Luukkonen Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Heat Look to Halt Skid Monday against Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Englund Thankful for Extended Look with Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Recall Forward German Rubtsov - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at IceHogs, January 20 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly: January 20, 2020 - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Weekly: January 20 - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Sens Release $100,000 in 50/50 Funds Amidst COVID-19 Crisis
- Spectra Donates Unused Food to Gleaners
- Eugene Melnyk Pledges Financial Support to Part-Time Employees During the AHL Suspension
- Belleville Senators COVID-19 Information
- Belleville Senators Statement on COVID-19