Clinton Captures First Shutout Win of the Year
DAYTON, OH - Jerar Encarnacion and shutout pitching from Manuel Rodriguez, Tyler Jones, and Nathan Alexander translated into the first shutout win of the year for the Clinton LumberKings as they dropped the Dayton Dragons 4-0 on Tuesday night at Fifth Third Ballpark. Encarnacion drove home all of the LumberKings (16-14) runs as part of a 2-for-4 night at the plate that included three RBIs, a double, and his sixth home run of the year.
Clinton starting pitcher Manuel Rodriguez needed little run support as he turned in his strongest start of the season. The lefty allowed no runs over a season-high six innings of work - scattering five hits, walking one, and striking out a season-high seven batters. Four of the five hits Rodriguez (2-1) allowed did not leave the infield and he was awarded his second win of the year for his time out.
The scoring started in the top of the fourth against Dayton (11-20) starter Jared Solomon. Connor Scott opened the inning with a double into center fielder and moved to third on a Demetrius Sims sacrifice bunt. Encarnacion then broke the scores tie with a line drive double into the right field corner that scored the game's first run.
The run was the only one surrendered by Solomon (0-2) but was enough to hang him with the loss. Over his 4.1 innings of work he allowed three hits while walking none and striking out seven.
Clinton added on in the sixth inning with Encarncaion's second and third RBIs of the night. Following a one-out walk to Demetrius Sims, he crushed his sixth home run of the season to put the LumberKings in front 3-0.
The final run of the night scored on a double play ball off the bat of Encarnacion. Although he was not credited with an RBI for the ground outs all four of Clinton's runs scored off balls put in play by Jerar Encarnacion.
Following Rodriguez six shutout innings - Tyler Jones worked two scoreless frames to earn his second hold of the year and Nathan Alexander closed the door with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
The LumberKings will conclude their three-game series with the Dayton Dragons on Tuesday night. Clinton will throw right-handed pitcher Tanner Andrew (0-0, 2.25) while the Dragons will counter with righty Ricky Salinas (0-0, 4.50). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call at 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio ap at 5:45 p.m. (CDT) with the pregame show.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 7, 2019
- 'Caps Fall on Cold Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Rallies Late to Beat Fort Wayne and Snap Losing Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Quad Cities Blanks Lansing, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Celestino's Single Leads Kernels to 8-5 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Tally Eighth Consecutive Victory, Shut out Lugnuts 6-0 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Rally To Beat Whitecaps 9-6 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Clinton Captures First Shutout Win of the Year - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Fall to Clinton 4-0; Series Finale Set for Wednesday Night - Dayton Dragons
- Pitching Swap: Murray Promoted, Winckowski Activated - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Tommy Parsons Named Midwest League Player of the Month - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 7 at Wisconsin (Game 31) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Extend Winning Streak with Shutout - Lake County Captains
- Streak Snapped - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Put the 'L' Back in Loons - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers fall in pitcher's duel to Captains - Beloit Snappers
- Tommy Parsons of the Peoria Chiefs Named Midwest League Player of the Month - MWL
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Jarvis Landry Celebrity Softball Game Announces Myles Garrett & David Njoku, VIP Packages, Charity Partner & Landry First Pitch at Classic Park - Lake County Captains
- Caleb Sampen Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Beat Hot Rods 3-2 in Extras - Burlington Bees
- Beloit Loses Series Opener to Lake County - Beloit Snappers
- McGee Has Career Night in 3-2, 10-Inning Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bojarski's Blast Lifts 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugnuts Lose Opener in Iowa City, 4-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Strong Pitching Leads 'Caps to Road Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Lawless Headlines Hot Stove Banquet
- Lawless to Lead LumberKings in 2020
- Broskowski Named New Voice of LumberKings
- Clinton LumberKings Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- LumberKings Respond to Major League Baseball's proposal to Eliminate 42 Teams