Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions
Omaha designated hitter Jorge Bonifacio homered while driving in three runs and second baseman Jecksson Flores slapped the go-ahead run-scoring single in the eighth as the Storm Chasers bullpen posted four shutout frames in a 6-5 comeback win over the San Antonio Missions on Saturday evening at Werner Park.
Entering the last of the eighth trailing 5-4, Bonifacio bashed a solo homer to left-center to even the score. Flores would then lace an RBI single to center to give the Storm Chasers their first and only lead of the evening.
After striking with a single tally in the first, San Antonio extended the advantage to four thanks in part to a two-run homer from CF Trent Grisham . The Storm Chasers would then answer with a four-spot to tie the game with two-run singles from 3B Kelvin Gutierrez and Bonifacio. Two innings later, the Missions would grab a 5-4 advantage when 2B Keston Hiura mashed a solo shot to set up the late-inning heroics.
In addition to Bonifacio's (2-4, R, HR, 3 RBI) multi-hit effort, LF Elier Hernandez (3-3, R, BB) reached base four times, including three knocks in as many at-bats. Hiura (2-4, R, HR, RBI) and RF Nate Orf (2-4, RBI) each tallied two hits apiece for San Antonio.
After Eric Skoglund (5.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 4 K) fired the first five frames as part of a Major League Rehab Assignment, relievers Andres Machado (1.0 IP, H, K), Tim Hill (2.0 IP, H, K) and Josh Staumont (1.0 IP, 3 K) tossed the final four frames, with Hill earning the win and Staumont notching his second save by striking out the side in order in the ninth. Missions righty Alex Wilson (2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are set to square off on Sunday afternoon, with first pitch scheduled for 2:05pm CT. RHP Scott Blewett (5-6, 6.61) is expected to toe the rubber for Omaha, with RHP Zack Brown (2-4, 5.22) set to start for San Antonio.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.