Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds (32-44) scored three times in the first inning and never looked back against the Oklahoma City Dodgers (Dodgers), cruising to an 8-2 victory in the fourth game of this series Sunday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.
John Nogowski got the scoring started for the Redbirds in the first inning for the second-straight night, bringing home Randy Arozarena and Edmundo Sosa with his first triple since 2014, extending his hitting streak to nine games. The Redbirds have scored in their first time up to bat in three-straight games. Lane Thomas would plate Nogowski with an RBI-single of his own two batters later.
Alex Reyes picked up right where he left off in his start on Monday vs. Las Vegas, collecting two strikeouts in the first inning. Seven of his last of his last nine outs recorded on the mound have come via strikeout. However, after facing one batter in the second, Reyes departed after experiencing right pectoral discomfort.
Jesus Cruz was first out of the bullpen for Memphis and tossed 3.0 scoreless innings, his longest outing at the Triple-A level this season, and the only batter he allowed to reach came via a hit by pitch. Cruz also tallied three strikeouts.
The Redbirds tacked-on two more runs in the fifth through an RBI-groundout by Sosa and an RBI-double by Nogowski. Along with the nine-game hitting streak, Nogowski has three RBI in back-to-back games and has 12 total RBI during that span.
Thomas posted his first two-home run game of the year by hitting solo shots in consecutive at-bats in the sixth and seventh innings. He led all Cardinals minor leaguers last season with 27 long balls.
The Dodgers (30-44) scored both of their runs in the eighth, snapping a run of 16-consecutive scoreless frames tossed by Redbirds pitching.
Chasen Shreve finished the game for Memphis with 1.1 perfect innings, striking out two. He has allowed just two earned runs in his last 16.1 innings pitched (12 games).
Conner Capel, in a pinch-hit spot in the fifth, singled to extend his hitting streak to nine games in nine career Triple-A games.
The Redbirds and Oklahoma City conclude their five-game series tomorrow night at 7:05. The Redbirds return to AutoZone Park on Tuesday to start a nine-game homestand through July 3.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Tuesday, June 25 at 6:35: Rockey's Yard Sale, with fans able to purchase items in the 3rd Base Cove during the game
Wednesday, June 26 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, June 27 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; green hat giveaway on Silky O'Sullivan's Irish Heritage Night
Friday, June 28 at 7:05: Wizards & Wands Night featuring a handmade wand specialty ticket at www.memphisredbirds.com/wizardsandwands; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat wings buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 29 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina and Roberto Clemente Double Bobblehead specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; Win-a-Rolex Contest presented by Sissy's Log Cabin with fans able to register a guess of the time the game will end to win a $5,400 Rolex watch
Sunday, June 30 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, July 1 at 6:35: the Redbirds will take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series
Tuesday, July 2 at 6:35: "Stranger Wings" Night two days before the season premiere of Stranger Things, with an exclusive "Stranger Wings" t-shirt available with a specialty ticket purchase at www.memphisredbirds.com/strangerwings
Wednesday, July 3 at 6:35: Independence Day Celebration presented by AutoZone with a hamburger/hot dog buffet specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/4thofJuly.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month