Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Round Rock Express (44-31) bats sparked in an 8-3 victory over the Iowa Cubs (42-34) on Sunday afternoon at Principal Park. Nine E-Train batters recorded at least one hit to propel the game four victory.
Round Rock LHP Cionel Pérez (1-1, 5.80) earned the win in his first appearance since rejoining the team after a stint with the Houston Astros. The righty pitched 4.0 solid innings out of the bullpen, allowing only three hits while punching out four. On the losing side, I-Cubs RHP Colin Rea (8-2, 3.89) surrendered seven runs, four of which were earned, on eight hits and four walks.
Express 3B Josh Rojas led off the game by crushing a solo shot to give Round Rock the advantage just two pitches into the contest.
However, Iowa broke through in the home half of the second inning as 1B Jim Adduci and 2B Robel Garcia teamed up for a pair of singles that were eventually plated on a two-run double off the bat of C Taylor Davis. The I-Cubs extended their lead the next frame as LF Donnie Dewees sent a home run into the right field berm.
In the fourth, Round Rock worked to level the score at three before taking their second lead of the afternoon. CF Drew Ferguson notched a leadoff single and 2B Nick Tanielu mimicked the hit. DH AJ Reed then doubled to score Ferguson and Tanielu from second and first respectively. The designated hitter then advanced to third on a Garrett Stubbs fly out and raced home for the go-ahead run on a RF Chas McCormick sacrifice fly.
Round Rock plated a trio of insurance runs in the fifth. 1B Taylor Jones opened the inning by jumping aboard via a Dewees fielding error then SS Jack Mayfield singled. Finally, LF Austin Dennis loaded the bases with a single moments before Reed worked a bases-loaded walk to knock in Jones. Mayfield and Dennis followed closely thereafter via a Stubbs single, extending the lead to 7-3.
As icing on the cake, Jones notched an eighth-inning double prior to a Mayfield RBI single further widening the gap to 8-3. Express RHP Felipe Paulino made his first appearance since being signed as a free agent and threw a 1-2-3 ninth inning to shut down hope of an I-Cubs comeback.
Round Rock and Iowa compete in a rubber match on Monday afternoon to conclude the series. Express RHP Brandon Bielak (0-3, 9.17) is set to face off against I-Cubs RHP Trevor Clifton (2-6, 4.73). First pitch at Principal Park is scheduled for 12:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Reid Ryan Returns as Ryan Sanders Sports & Entertainment CEO
- Round Rock Express Issue Statement on Affiliation
- Round Rock Express Issue Statement on Affiliation
- With Announcements, More MiLB Teams Left Twisting in the Wind
- Hardy to Join Midland for December 5 Concert at Dell Diamond