Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss
Oklahoma City - The Memphis Redbirds built a 7-0 lead as they held the Oklahoma City Dodgers to three hits through seven innings Sunday night and sent the Dodgers to an 8-2 loss at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
The Dodgers (30-44) scored two runs in the eighth inning and added four late hits in the game, but were unable to overcome the early deficit as Memphis took a 3-1 lead in the five-game series between the teams.
The Dodgers took the field as Cielo Azul de Oklahoma City Sunday night as part of MiLB's "Es Divertido Ser Un Fan®" campaign, while Memphis played as the Música and jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning.
The first three batters of the game reached for Memphis on a walk, double and two-run triple by John Nogowski for a 2-0 lead. A RBI single by Lane Thomas with one out pushed the Memphis lead to 3-0.
The Redbirds (32-44) tacked on two more runs in the fifth inning. Edmundo Sosa hit into a fielder's choice with one out, allowing a run to score. Nogowski followed and hit a grounder down the left-field line for a RBI double and a 5-0 lead.
Thomas led off the sixth inning with a solo homer out to left field for a 6-0 Redbirds lead. Thomas then hit his second home run in as many innings when he added a solo shot in the seventh inning for a 7-0 Memphis advantage.
The Dodgers got on the scoreboard in the eighth inning ending a stretch of 16 straight scoreless innings against the Redbirds after suffering a 5-0 shutout loss Saturday night. Connor Joe hit a towering home run out of the ballpark to left field to lead off and put the Dodgers on the board, 7-1. The home run was Joe's fifth of the season.
Zach Reks and Edwin RÃ-os followed with back-to-back singles. Later with two outs, Rocky Gale connected on a RBI single into left-center field to score Reks and cut Memphis' lead to 7-2.
Memphis' Adolis Garcia hit a RBI single up the middle to extend to an 8-2 lead in the ninth inning.
Redbirds starting pitcher Alex Reyes exited game in the bottom of the second inning with an apparent injury and Jesus Cruz entered the game to pitch for the Redbirds. Cruz (2-5) pitched 3.0 scoreless and hitless innings in the win. He did not issue a walk and recorded three strikeouts.
Oklahoma City starting pitcher Daniel Corcino (4-3) was charged with the loss, allowing six runs on nine hits over 5.1 innings with two walks and four strikeouts.
The Dodgers have now lost three straight games, as well as four of their last five games and five of their last seven games. They close out their series against Memphis at 7:05 p.m. Monday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Tickets are available through the OKC Dodgers ticket office located on South Mickey Mantle Drive, by phone at (405) 218-2182, or by visiting okcdodgers.com.
Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League 2020 Season
- Free Stem-Based OKC Dodgers MVP Program Enters Fourth Year
- OKC Dodgers Offering Community Match Ticket Sale During Thanksgiving Week
- LifeShare WinterFest and Snow Tubing Return to Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark
- OKC Dodgers Announce 2020 Schedule