Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback
The New Orleans Baby Cakes rallied for five in the eighth inning to back Robert Dugger's strong Triple-A debut, downing the Nashville Sounds 8-5 on Sunday afternoon.
The 'Cakes batted around in the eighth on six hits and a walk, with each of the first four to step up to the plate eventually, turning around a two-run deficit into a three-run lead. Lewis Brinson began the frame with a double and scored on Yangervis Solarte's single to draw within a run. With the bases loaded and one out, Eddy Alvarez roped a two-run single to right to put New Orleans in front for good.
Magneuris Sierra, who had earlier successfully stolen home, capped the rally by beating out an RBI single, and Tyler Kinley worked around a one-out walk in the ninth to earn the save.
All five runs were charged to Nashville reliever Jake Petricka (1-2), who took the loss.
Dugger allowed two runs on five hits and striking out six in 5 1/3 innings in the first Triple-A action of his career. Exiting with a 3-2 lead, Parker Bugg then allowed three runs on three hits in his 2 1/3 innings, allowing Eli White's leadoff double against Dugger to score on a wild pitch on his first delivery in the contest. Bugg was charged with a blown save.
Brian Moran (2-1) relieved Bugg in the eighth with the bases loaded and two outs, and walked in a run before striking out Zack Granite, earning his second win following the Baby Cakes' comeback in the bottom of the frame.
Austin Dean went 3-for-4 in his first start with the 'Cakes since being optioned. Deven Marrero's 11-game hitting streak came to an end with his 0-for-3 afternoon, but he drew a key walk as part of the eighth-inning comeback.
First pitch in the rubber match of the five-game set on Monday is at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.