Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win
Las Vegas, Nevada - The Sacramento River Cats (39-36) took down the Las Vegas Aviators (41-35) 4-3 for their third straight win against the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Once again the River Cats rallied late to push past the Aviators.
Starter Enderson Franco turned in a stellar performance for the River Cats, tossing a season-high 6.1 innings and allowing two runs on four hits while striking out six. Franco was cruising, retiring 13 straight at one point, until he ran into some trouble in the seventh when Aviators' first baseman Seth Brown erased a 2-0 Sacramento lead with a two-run home run.
Zach Green supplied the River Cats offense through the first seven innings. The third baseman put the River Cats on the board with a solo shot in the fourth to dead center, and then followed up with a nearly identical solo blast to center in the seventh. Then, with the game tied at two in the eighth inning, two walks and a single loaded the bases for Chris Shaw. The powerful left fielder would deliver a clutch single down the left field line, driving in the games deciding runs.
Lefty Fernando Abad, who took the loss in the first game of this series, came on in the eighth with a one-run lead and struck out each of the five batters he faced to nail down his ninth save of the season. His ERA this season is now 2.39.
Right-hander Yoanys Quiala (3-3, 5.33) will get the nod in Monday's finale, looking to continue the River Cats winning ways. The Aviators will roll with left-hander Tyler Alexander (4-3, 5.18). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM.
- Zach Green smashed his 13th and 14th home runs today. He now has three games this season in which he has hit two homers. Green is second on the team in long balls trailing only Mike Gerber (15).
- Fernando Abad picked up his third multi-inning save this season tossing 1.2 scoreless innings today. Abad now has now converted 11 chances into nine saves this season for the River Cats.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Redbirds Win Third-Straight in 8-2 Victory over Dodgers - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers score late, but suffer third straight loss - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Rally past Tacoma - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Miller Tags Two Triples, Rainiers Cough up Six-Run Advantage in Loss to El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Isotopes Snap Losing Streak with 8-6 Win over Aces - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Hands Aviators Third Straight Loss - Las Vegas Aviators
- Isotopes Avoid Series Sweep, Win 8-6 - Reno Aces
- Sunday's Chasers-Missions Game Suspended - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers Cap Comeback with 6-5 Win over Missions - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Kieboom and Stevenson slam Grizzlies to 22-9 rout of Bees - Fresno Grizzlies
- Parker Homers in Sixth Consecutive Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Outshine Cubs in 8-3 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Shaw's clutch single propels River Cats to 4-3 win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Evens Series - Iowa Cubs
- Missions-Storm Chasers Game Suspended - San Antonio Missions
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans - Nashville Sounds
- Five-Run Eighth Caps 'Cakes Comeback - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 23, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (31-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-43) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas - San Antonio Missions
- Top Prospect Luzardo Shines, But Aviators Come up Short against River Cats - Las Vegas Aviators
- River Cats bullpen bounces back in 4-3 comeback win - Sacramento River Cats
- Late Rally for Bees Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Slugfest in Salt Lake goes Fresno's way, 13-12 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Shutout Albuquerque for Third Consecutive Victory - Reno Aces
- Aces Shut out Isotopes, 1-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1