Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0
Wichita, Kansas - Kevin Carr collected his third shutout of the season as he stopped all 31 shots in the Utah Grizzlies 4-0 win over the Wichita Thunder on Friday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
The Grizzlies were a perfect 2 for 2 on the power play. Ryan Walters got Utah on the board with his 8th goal of the season on the power play 8:49 into the contest.
It stayed a 1-0 game for the next 37 minutes of game time as both Kevin Carr and the Grizzlies defense did an outstanding job of keeping the Thunder off the scoreboard. Thunder goaltender Ty Rimmer was also solid through 2 periods of play.
The Grizzlies extended the lead as Mike Economos scored a power play goal 6:14 into the third period on a great pass from JT Henke. The first 5 on 5 goal of the game scored on a Joey Raats breakaway. The rookie from Arizona State got his second goal of the season. Ryan Walters extended the lead with his second goal of the game 11:17 into the third period. Walters has 9 goals and 19 assists on the season.
Jake Marchment and Eric Freschi each had 2 assists for the Grizzlies, who have the best winning percentage in the Mountain Division at .659 %.
Utah is now 4-1 on the current 5 game road trip and are on a current 3 game winning streak. The Grizzlies have won each of their first 7 meetings this season with Wichita.
Saturday night concludes the 6 game road trip as the Grizzlies take on the Thunder in game 2 of the 2 game weekend series. Face-off is at 6:00 pm mountain time. The game can be heard on ESPN 700.
3 stars of the game
1. Kevin Carr (Utah) - 31 for 31 saves.
2. Ryan Walters (Utah) - 2 goals, 9 shots on goal.
3. Mike Economos (Utah) - 1 goal.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.