Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2
Glens Falls, NY - The Reading Royals received goals from Alex Roos and Tyler Bird in a 4-2 loss to the Adirondack Thunder Friday at Cool Insuring Arena. The Thunder scored four times in the third period, including a pair of short-handed goals, and Mike Szmatula buried the game-winning strike with 2:15 left.
Reading's Alex Roos scored first with helpers from Chris McCarthy and Frank DiChiara to give Reading a 1-0 lead. Tyler Bird scored his first professional goal in the second period to provide insurance, 2-0.
Callum Booth faced 22 shots and allowed three goals in defeat.
Alex Sakellaropoulos won with 17 denials (2 GA).
The Royals return home for a back-to-back against Manchester starting Sat., Feb. 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Roos' ninth of the season provided Reading the first goal. DiChiara stole the puck and nicked the it to McCarthy at the left circle. He darted low left dot and shoveled it to Roos, who quickly unleashed a top shelf goal with 7:19 to go in the first.
Shots were 6-4 in Adirondack's favor after one. In the second, Reading out shot the Thunder, 9-7, and scored at :31 of the second. Bird redirected a right-point shot from Frank Hora. The rookie Bird scored seven times as a senior at Brown last season.
With the Royals on a five-minute major power play after a match penalty from Matias Cleland, the Thunder rose and scored twice. Brian Ward scored at :23 of the third with a short-side snap shot. Next, Desmond Bergin tied the game at 2:48. The Royals killed off a five-on-three Thunder man-up chance early in the third after the tying goal. Both teams were 0-for-3 on the power play.
Szmatula scored the game-winning goal, assisted by James Henry. Szmatula deked to the bottom of the left circle and slid the puck past Booth. Cullen Bradshaw put it away with an empty-net goal one minute later.
Next Home Games
Sat., Feb. 2, 7:00 p.m. vs. Manchester: MARVEL Super Hero Night and Diamond Credit Union Wall of Honor Night. The Royals will wear Black Panther jerseys and honor broadcasters Mark Thompson and Pat Richards. The team will give away Thompson/Richards puck to the first 2,000 fans.
Sun., Feb. 3, 2:00 p.m. vs. Manchester: Family Four Pack (4 burgers, 4 sodas and 4 tickets for $48).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Pair of Blue Liners Cockerill and Drake Return for Purple and Orange
- This Saturday: Radio Recon Returns to Beverly Hills Tavern
- Royals Nab F Vanderlaan from Kansas City for Future Considerations
- Mackin Returns on ECHL Contract Following Stellar Rookie Season
- Royals Next Player Signing Tuesday at Noon on Facebook Live