Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs sank the Maine Mariners with a 3-2 win, Friday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (23-19-1-1) held on to their lead in the third period, topping the Maine Mariners (21-22-0-1) by a score of 3-2.
The Mariners got the scoring started at 15:15 of the first when Greg Chase scored his ninth of the season. Picking up the breakout pass as he exited the penalty box, Chase skated in all alone and lifted the puck over the shoulder of Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams, to make the score, 1-0.
The Monarchs answered at 17:44 of the first period when Cory Ward scored his 12th goal of the season. Travis Walsh took a shot from the point, where a rebound popped free to Ward, where he beat Maine goaltender, Brandon Halverson, to tie up the game at 1-1.
The Monarchs scored again at 2:48 of the second period when Drake Rymsha scored his fifth goal of the season. Austin Block cruised around the net on a wrap-around chance and found Rymsha at the side of the net, where he lifted the puck past Halverson, to make the score, 2-1.
The Monarchs increased their lead at 13:38 of the second period when Michael Doherty, scoring his fifth of the season, picked up a rebound in front of Halverson while crashing the net, and was able to hammer the puck past the goal line, making the score, 3-1.
The Mariners pulled within one at 6:11 of the third period when Michael McNicholas scored a power-play goal, his ninth of the season. Picking up the puck in the bottom of the right circle, McNicholas lifted the puck over Williams where it bounced off the crossbar and in, making the score, 3-2.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, February 2 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Reading Royals at Santander Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.