Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans
ALLEN, Texas - The Idaho Steelheads (28-14-3) navigated a turbulent middle frame to ensure a 6-3 win over the Allen Americans (15-29-5) on Friday night from Allen Event Center.
The Steelheads bounced ahead quickly with two goals separated by just 12 seconds in the back half of the first period. At 13:25, a shot by defenseman Nolan Gluchowski kicked off a leg in the slot right to the stick of forward Alex Dahl, who slipped the puck into the open net and gave the road side a 1-0 lead. Forward Elgin Pearce slotted the second goal just 12 seconds later at 13:37 after being set up for an open net by forward Mitch Moroz drawing a crowd in the slot, and that tally doubled the Steelheads lead to 2-0.
The second period was heavy with action in the opening minutes starting at 1:06 with a power play goal from Americans forward Zach Pochiro to cut the lead in half, 2-1. Just 16 seconds later at 1:22, Dahl nabs his second goal of the night on another rebound to spread the lead back to two, 3-1. The Americans scored two-straight goals at 2:53 on a shorthanded goal from forward Riley Bourbonnais and a goal called on the ice at 3:44 for forward Alex Ranger, tying the game at 3-3. However, the Steelheads took back the lead, 4-3, with a power play goal from forward Reid Petryk at 12:13 from low in the left circle.
Defense became the focal point of the third period, opening the opportunity for the Steelheads to seal the game late. A pair of empty net goals starting with Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig at 18:42 followed by a final tally by Pearce at 19:59 gave the road side a 6-3 victory.
Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (7-3-1) stopped 21 of 24 shots in the win, while Americans netminder C.J. Motte (13-13-5) turned away 29 of 33 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Americans finish their season series on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 6:05 p.m. MT from Allen Event Center. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Return Home, Host Puck Giveaway & Keep Kids Warm
- Steelheads Weekly - November 18, 2019
- Steelheads Finish Road Trip with 3-1 Loss to Americans
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers
- Steelheads Open Midwest Swing with 4-1 Win over Thunder