Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans
ALLEN, Texas - The Idaho Steelheads (28-14-3) navigated a turbulent middle frame to ensure a 6-3 win over the Allen Americans (15-29-5) on Friday night from Allen Event Center.
The Steelheads bounced ahead quickly with two goals separated by just 12 seconds in the back half of the first period. At 13:25, a shot by defenseman Nolan Gluchowski kicked off a leg in the slot right to the stick of forward Alex Dahl, who slipped the puck into the open net and gave the road side a 1-0 lead. Forward Elgin Pearce slotted the second goal just 12 seconds later at 13:37 after being set up for an open net by forward Mitch Moroz drawing a crowd in the slot, and that tally doubled the Steelheads lead to 2-0.
The second period was heavy with action in the opening minutes starting at 1:06 with a power play goal from Americans forward Zach Pochiro to cut the lead in half, 2-1. Just 16 seconds later at 1:22, Dahl nabs his second goal of the night on another rebound to spread the lead back to two, 3-1. The Americans scored two-straight goals at 2:53 on a shorthanded goal from forward Riley Bourbonnais and a goal called on the ice at 3:44 for forward Alex Ranger, tying the game at 3-3. However, the Steelheads took back the lead, 4-3, with a power play goal from forward Reid Petryk at 12:13 from low in the left circle.
Defense became the focal point of the third period, opening the opportunity for the Steelheads to seal the game late. A pair of empty net goals starting with Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig at 18:42 followed by a final tally by Pearce at 19:59 gave the road side a 6-3 victory.
Steelheads goaltender Ryan Faragher (7-3-1) stopped 21 of 24 shots in the win, while Americans netminder C.J. Motte (13-13-5) turned away 29 of 33 shots in the loss. The Steelheads and Americans finish their season series on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 6:05 p.m. MT from Allen Event Center. Coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.