Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland
ST. JOHN'S, NFLD - The Worcester Railers HC (19-19-3-3, 43pts) continued their three game Canada road trip with a 5-2 loss to the host Newfoundland Growlers (29-12-2-0, 60pts) in front of 3,951 fans at the CAA Centre on Friday evening. The Railers wrap up the three game Canada road swing on Saturday night in St. John's NFLD vs. the Growlers at 5:30pm (ET).
Nick Sorkin and Tyler Barnes scored for Worcester while Evan Buitenhuis made 28 saves in net in the loss. Five different players scored for the Growlers and goaltender Eamon McAdam made 27 saves in net in the win as Worcester fell to 7-12-0-2 on the road this season. Worcester led 2-1 early in the third period before a 5-on-3 goal against and two empty netters to put the game away late in the third.
Railers came out slow in the first period as Evan Buitenhuis stood on his head and made 14 saves as the Growlers grabbed a 1-0 lead through 20 minutes. Derian Plouffe (7th) finished off a James Melindy end to end rush at 12:39 for the only score of the period as Eamon McAdam only had to make seven saves for the Growlers.
Nick Sorkin (10th) ripped a shot from 35 feet over the shoulder of Eamon McAdam just 60 seconds into the second period to tie the score at 1-1 with Matty Gaudreau and Mike Cornell picking up the assists. Worcester outshot Newfoundland 14-8 in the middle frame as the two clubs headed to the second intermission all tied up.
Tyler Barnes (15th) fired home a loose puck at 1:29 of the third period assisted by Barry Almeida and Ryan Hitchcock to give the Railers a 2-1 edge. After a slew of questionable calls against Worcester, Zach O'Brien (17th) tied the score with a one timer at 4:09 with a two-man advantage goal. James Melindy (1st) followed up his own rebound at 11:54 for the eventual game winner and Hudson Elynuik and Scott Pooley (19th) added empty netters to give the Growlers a 5-2 home win.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Zach O'Brien (1-0-1) 2nd star: Derian Plouffe (1-0-1) 1st star: James Melindy (1-1-2) .... final shots were 33-29 in favor of Newfoundland.... Eamon McAdam (2-2-1) made 27 saves on 29 shots for Newfoundland..... Evan Buitenhuis (7-8-3) made 28 saves on 31 shots for Worcester while Evan Mitch Gillam was the backup....Worcester went 0-for-3 on the power play while Newfoundland went 1-for-56.... Kyle McKenzie (inj), Tommy Kelley, Bo Brauer, Tyler Mueller (inj), and Malcolm Gould (inj) did not dress for Worcester.... Jeff Kubiak is on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers... Tyler Barnes now has a five-game point streak (4-3-7).... Worcester has allowed a power play goal in six straight games....Ryan Hitchcock has five assists in his last two games.... Barry Almeida (3-8-11) has 11 points in his last 11 games....Barry Almeida and Mike Cornell each received 10-minute misconducts.... Worcester was whistled for 32 penalty minutes - St. Johns just 8...Ryan Hitchcock had seven shots on goal...the Railers are now 0-3-0-0 at the Mile One Centre.
What's on tap - OH CANADA!
On Saturday, the Railers battle the Growlers in St. John's NFD starting at 5:30pm (ET). Coverage begins at 5:05pm on 98.9 NASH Icon.
The Railers Tavern located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Nonna's (FRI, SAT, SUN) or Railers Tavern (MON-THU) or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- No Sunshine for Worcester in 5-1 Loss to Jacksonville
- Worcester Railers HC Acquire Tyler Poulsen and Myles McGurty from Rapid City
- Railers Begin Road Trip with 3-0 Loss in Reading
- Railers Can't Deliver Birthday Present for TRAX in 4-2 Loss to Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Lose in Overtime in Front of Sell out Crowd 5-4 to Atlanta