Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots
MANCHESTER, NH - The Mariners scored the game's first and last goals but three unanswered in the middle by the Monarchs carried Manchester to a 3-2 win on Friday night at the SNHU Arena. The Mariners have lost five games in a row and 11 of 14 overall. Greg Chase and Michel McNicholas each had a goal and an assist in the losing effort.
Chase scored his 9th of the season at 15:15 of the first, stepping out of the penalty box and receiving a touch feed from McNicholas. Chase skated in alone and Charles Williams and deked him with a shot to the high blocker side for a 1-0 Mariners lead. The Mariners were shorthanded four times in the first, and Manchester capitalized on their fourth chance at 17:44 to tie the game. Travis Walsh's blast got blocked in the slot and Cory Ward zipped the rebound past Halverson. The Mariners put 17 shots on goal in the opening frame.
Early in the 2nd, Manchester took a 2-1 lead when Austin Block circled the goal and found Drake Rymsha back door at 2:48. The Monarchs went up 3-1 when Michael Doherty drove the net and tipped a Spencer Watson pass behind Halverson at 13:38. Soon after, Morgan Adams-Moisan was called for a five-minute major penalty for head contact and received a match penalty for a hit on Doherty. The Mariners were able to kill the penalty and head to the third down just two.
At 6:11 of the third period, McNicholas snapped a 13 game goalless drought when Jon Jutzi and Chase set him up for a power play goal. The Mariners made a strong push to tie the game but had their comeback effort derailed when Jason Salvaggio was called for slashing inside two minutes remaining. Chase took an additional slashing penalty to give Manchester a 5-on-3 which allowed them to run out the clock.
Charles Williams made 41 saves in the win while Brandon Halverson stopped 37 of 40 on the other side. Manchester has won four of the last five head-to-head meetings.
The Mariners are home on Saturday for "Women in Sports night" presented by the Maine Sports Commission as they begin a five game home stand. Special ticket packages that include pre-game talks from three "Women in Sports" guest speakers are available by calling Molly Brenerman at 207-761-4363. The first 2,000 fans through the gate will also receive a Grocery Tote Bag, presented by Townsquare Media. Game time is 6:00 PM. General admission tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 1, 2019
- Americans Fall to Idaho 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Wichita 4-0 - Utah Grizzlies
- Thompson Provides Second Consecutive Game-Winner for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Win Third Straight, Shutout South Carolina 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Blank Stingrays in Series Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Extend Unbeaten Streak to Four with 4-2 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Carr, Grizzlies Blank Thunder, 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Stand Strong in 6-3 Win over Americans - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Survive Late Push to Double up Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dufour's Dagger Gives Indy Overtime Win in Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Orlando Breaks Greenville's Heart - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Fall at Adirondack, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Pleskach Nets Hat Trick as Oilers Win in Toledo - Tulsa Oilers
- Chase, McNicholas Have Multipoint Nights as Mariners Pelt Season High 43 Shots - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Straight in Third to Top Royals 4-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bounce Back with 3-2 Win over Mariners - Manchester Monarchs
- Fuel Escape on Close Play in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Calls Don't Go Worcester's Way in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Run out off Gas, Growlers Win 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- G Callum Booth Reassigned to Royals - Reading Royals
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komets Acquire Clarke from Allen, Campagna Loaned to Chicago - Fort Wayne Komets
- Allen Americans Game Capsule , Garrett Clarke Dealt to Fort Wayne - Allen Americans
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 1 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mitch Maxwell Returns to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners and Resurrection Golf Announce "Fore Pack" - Maine Mariners
- Mark Cooper and Mike McMurtry Return from AHL Duty - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, February 1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Kevin Lough Recalled from Loan by Chicago - Adirondack Thunder
- Binnington Is the MeiGray Group/ECHL Alumnus of the Month - ECHL
- Game Day: Royals at Thunder Looking for Season-Series Edge - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Escape Late Push by 'Blades to Win, 2-1 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.