Bruins Get by Islanders 3-2
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - Collin Adams and Erik Brown each scored a milestone goal on Friday night, helping the Bridgeport Islanders (5-11-1-2), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, stay close in a 3-2 loss to the Providence Bruins (7-5-3-1) at Webster Bank Arena.
Adams recorded his first AHL goal just 2:20 into the game and Brown tipped home his first professional goal nearly four minutes into the third. All three Bruins' goals came within a span of less than six minutes in the back half of the second period.
Adams cashed in on an early power play to put the Islanders out front 1-0, just a dozen seconds after Victor Berglund's tripping penalty. Austin Czarnik wristed a shot at Troy Grosenick from the left circle that was turned back, and Adams forced home a second rebound following Chris Terry's chance from the doorstep. It was also Adams' first point in the AHL after he recorded one goal and three assists in eight ECHL games with the Worcester Railers to begin his pro career.
Bridgeport carried its lead through the first intermission and past the 13-minute mark of the second, before Jesper Froden scored his fourth goal of the season at 13:58. He found a loose puck below the goal line and banked a backhand shot off goaltender Jakub Skarek that skipped over the goal line to make it 1-1.
Zach Senyshyn's power-play goal at 18:37 of the second put the Bruins ahead for the first time in the game. Aaron Ness settled a pass from Jack Studnicka behind the Bridgeport net and centered a feed for Senyshyn, who slammed home a one-timer for his fifth of the year.
Joona Koppanen made it 3-1 just 1:04 later with his second goal of the season, and Providence's second of the night at even strength. However, Brown got the Islanders back to within one at 4:02 of the third, skating to the right circle and redirecting Connor McCarthy's lengthy shot for his first pro goal. It was also McCarthy's first AHL point in four games with Bridgeport.
The Islanders outshot Providence 11-5 in the third period but couldn't even the score and suffered their seventh straight loss (0-6-1-0). Bridgeport fell to 1-1-0-1 in the series.
Skarek (5-4-2) made 29 saves in the Bridgeport crease and Grosenick (2-0-1) finished the night with 28 stops for Providence. The Islanders went 1-for-5 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the kill.
Next Time Out: The Islanders face the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, American Hockey League affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, for the first time this season tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. inside PPL Center. Fans can follow the action all season long via the Bridgeport Islanders Radio Network and AHLTV, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:40 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2021
- Game Recap: Amerks Cruise to 7-3 Win over Bears - Rochester Americans
- Tucson Roadrunners Win 4-1 against Abby Canucks - Abbotsford Canucks
- Pelletier, Penalty Kill Push Heat Past Eagles - Stockton Heat
- Busdeker and Mitchell Light the Goal Lamp on Hockey Fights Cancer Night at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally Past Griffins in Third - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bruins Get by Islanders 3-2 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Series Preview vs. Iowa: November 27 & 28 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Providence Bruins Score Three in Second Period, Beat Bridgeport Islanders, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Down Bears 7-3 on Black Friday - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Use Dominant Second Period to Knock off Thunderbirds 5-3 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Win Fourth Straight in 5-1 Victory over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Defeat Phantoms, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Willman Returns with Another Goal - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds' Win Streak Snapped in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Massive Rally Lifts Wolves to Victory - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Assign Jenik to Tucson Roadrunners - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gabriel Dumont Named Syracuse Crunch Captain - Syracuse Crunch
- 5 Things: Heat at Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Host Country Night & Sixth Annual Red Kettle Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reign Weekend Games Postponed - Ontario Reign
- American Hockey League Postpones Ontario Reign Games this Weekend - AHL
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce Season of Giving - Abbotsford Canucks
- Iowa Recalls Beraldo from Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Open Key Three-Game Series with Thunderbirds at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Heat, Eagles Begin Two-Game Set Friday in Loveland - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Add Master, Michaud, MacKinnon - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bunnaman to Flyers, Willman to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Sean Day from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Open up First Half of Back-To-Back in Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Checkers Sign Frank Hora to PTO - Charlotte Checkers
- Islanders Battle Bruins Tonight - Bridgeport Islanders
- Game Preview: Bears at Americans, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Monsters Recall D-Man Olivier LeBlanc from ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Game #13: Abbotsford at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Host Admirals on Hockey Fights Cancer Night Tonight at BMO Harris Bank Center - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.