Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening and Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks, Assign Net-Minder Elvis Merzlikins to Monsters
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters, top affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced Wednesday that the Blue Jackets recalled defenseman Adam Clendening and goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks from the Monsters and assigned goaltender Elvis Merzlikins to Cleveland. In 11 appearances for the Monsters this season, Clendening supplied 2-5-7 with 12 penalty minutes and a +5 rating while Kivlenieks went 5-1-1 in seven appearances for Cleveland this year with a 2.37 goals-against average (GAA) and a .909 save percentage (S%). In four appearances for Columbus this season, the first action of his North American pro career, Merzlikins went 0-2-1 with a 3.91 GAA and a .882 S%.
A 6'0", 196 lb., right-handed native of Niagara Falls, NY, Clendening, 27, was selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round (36th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. In 90 career NHL appearances for Columbus, Chicago, the Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers and Arizona Coyotes spanning parts of five seasons from 2014-19, Clendening supplied 4-20-24 with 42 penalty minutes and a +11 rating. In 317 career AHL appearances for the Rockford IceHogs, Utica Comets, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Tucson Roadrunners and the Monsters spanning parts of seven seasons from 2012-19, Clendening contributed 34-171-205 with 377 penalty minutes and a +54 rating. Clendening competed in the 2012-13 AHL All-Star Game and was named to the 2013-14 AHL First All-Star Team and the 2012-13 AHL Second All-Star Team.
Prior to his professional career, Clendening notched 9-50-59 with 144 penalty minutes and a +19 rating in 77 NCAA appearances for Boston University spanning two seasons from 2010-12 and added 4-13-17 with 44 penalty minutes and a +16 rating in 26 USHL appearances for USA Hockey's National Team Development Program during the 2009-10 season. Clendening additionally competed for Team USA at the 2012 IIHF U20 World Junior Championships.
A 6'2", 184 lb., left-catching native of Riga, Latvia, Kivlenieks, 22, supplied a record of 23-26-6 with two shutouts, a 3.21 GAA and a .889 S% spanning parts of three seasons with Cleveland from 2017-19. In one USHL season with the Sioux City Musketeers in 2016-17, Kivlenieks claimed USHL Goaltender and Player of the Year honors and was named to the USHL's First All-Star Team while leading the league in both goals-against average and save percentage, notching a record of 36-7-2 with five shutouts, a 1.85 GAA and a .932 S%.
A 6'3", 181 lb. left-catching native of Riga, Latvia, Merzlikins, 25, was selected by Columbus in the third round (76th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to his North American professional career, Merzlikins posted a record of 105-79-7 with a 2.68 GAA and a .920 S% in 210 appearances spanning parts of six seasons with HC Lugano in the Swiss National League from 2013-19. Merzlikins claimed the Jacques Plante Trophy as the NLA's top goaltender in the 2015-16 and 2017-18 seasons.
2019-20 Monsters Single Game Tickets are on sale NOW starting at ONLY $10 PER SEAT! Monsters Hockey Club Memberships are also available, providing members the lowest possible ticket prices, best seat locations, exclusive members only events like the Monsters' annual Meet the Team party and an exclusive, FREE Monsters Jersey or Hoodie! Group outing and birthday bash packages for ten or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased at www.ClevelandMonsters.com/tickets, by calling (216) 420-0000 or by visiting any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey and remember to download the all-new Monsters Mobile App for free at the App Store or Google Play.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 6, 2019
- Criscuolo Scores Twice as Phantoms Down Penguins 4-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Bested by Phantoms, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Devils Stay Hot At Home In 4-2 Win Over Comets - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Comeback Effort Falls Short in Binghamton - Utica Comets
- Comets Comeback Effort Falls Short in Binghamton - Utica Comets
- Colorado Avalanche Reassigns Megna, Recalls Tynan - Colorado Eagles
- 'Canes Recall Luostarinen from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Teach Moose a Lesson - Milwaukee Admirals
- Matinee Goes Milwaukee's Way, 6-4 - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Allow Three Shorthanded Goals in Matinee Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Jr. Rampage to Host "Try Hockey for Free Day" at Northwoods Ice Center - San Antonio Rampage
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening and Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks, Assign Net-Minder Elvis Merzlikins to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Mount Comeback in 5-3 Victory over Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Return Home for College Night, Military Appreciation - Tucson Roadrunners
- Szwarz Named Third Captain in Belleville Senators History - Belleville Senators
- Gibson records 10th career shutout, Pierog scores first AHL goal in 1-0 win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mahura Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Capitals Re-Assign Forward Liam O'Brien to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds' Ferocious Efforts Unable to Extend Win Streak - Springfield Thunderbirds
- German Rubtsov Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Visit Rockford for Early Start against IceHogs - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Holding Food Drive During Next Five Home Games to Benefit Foodlink - Rochester Americans
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Markus Hannikainen to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Panthers Recall F Dominic Toninato, Loan D Riley Stillman to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Host Thunderbirds this Morning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Reign Blanked by Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Werner Earns 30-Save Shutout in Eagles 4-0 Victory over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Hosts Select Initial Public Events
- Monsters Launch Digital Fan Salute Week Presented by Rascal House
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season, Playoffs
- Monsters Sign Forward Matthew Struthers to AHL Contract
- Fans Invited to Relive this Season's Top Moments with 'Monsters Flashback'