Bats Get Quick Start in RailRiders Win
ROCHESTER, NY - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders beat the Rochester Red Wings 5-2 on Saturday night at Frontier Field. The RailRiders won their fourth straight in the series on the strength of early offense.
The RailRiders opened the scoring with a three-run first against Yefry Rodriguez.. Oswald Peraza singled and Estevan Florial walked to start the game. Miguel Andujar singled home Peraza, Rob Brantly plated Florial with a sac fly and a RBI double by Ryan LaMarre extended the lead for starter Hayden Wesneski.
The RailRiders right-hander allowed a run in the second on three hits, but otherwise kept the Red Wings offense in check. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre added a pair in the fourth on a RBI double from Max Burt and a run-scoring single by Florial to extend the lead to 5-1.
Raudy Read homered off Deivi Garcia in the sixth and Rochester threatened with baserunners in the seventh and ninth, but the RailRiders bullpen closed the door to secure the win.
Wesneski (2-1) earned the win, allowing one run on five hits over five innings with four strikeouts. Rodriguez (2-1) allowed all five runs on seven hit over five innings in the loss. Ron Marinaccio pitched a scoreless ninth for his second save for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Peraza and Florial paced the offense with two hits apiece and five different players drove in a run to balance the attack.
The RailRiders and Red Wings conclude the 2021 season on Sunday afternoon. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre will start Luis Gil against Rochester, who counter with Jackson Tetreault. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 P.M.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from October 2, 2021
- Storm Chasers Win Third Straight Game Behind Pair of Three-Run Homers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bulls Clinch Final Stretch Title with Dramatic 5-3 Win over Tides - Durham Bulls
- I-Cubs Drop Third Straight to Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Bisons Win Again, But 'Final Stretch' Goes to Durham - Buffalo Bisons
- Late Home Run Defeats Norfolk, Durham Wins Championship - Norfolk Tides
- Gossett Shines, WooSox Victorious Again over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- Gossett shines as Pigs drop eighth straight - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Okey Double Pulls Bats Close, But Clips Sail Away Late - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Outduels Jacksonville In, 2-1, Win Saturday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Indians and Sounds Saturday Night Matchup Canceled - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Get Quick Start in RailRiders Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 5-2 Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Saints Furious Rally in Ninth Not Enough in 8-5 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Sounds, Indians Canceled in Indy - Nashville Sounds
- Red Wings Announce 2021 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Knights & Redbirds Cancelled on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Saturday's Redbirds Game Cancelled Due to Weather - Memphis Redbirds
- October 2 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-66) vs. Nashville Sounds (69-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Pittsburgh Recalls No. 52 Overall Prospect Oneil Cruz - Indianapolis Indians
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: October 2, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Jumbo Shrimp Alumnus Lee Makes Major League Debut - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Storm Chasers Tie Modern Franchise Record with Seven Home Runs in Blowout Win over I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa's Losing Streak Slides to Six in Blowout Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Inaugural Polar Park Pumpkin Patch Opens Monday to Celebrate October Baseball - Worcester Red Sox
- Winckowski Dazzles Again, WooSox Win Third Straight over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Join Newly Formed Organization Diamond Baseball Holdings
- RailRiders announce 2022 game times
- "Hackathon" Coming to PNC Field November 6
- RailRiders & MiLB Teaming up with Marvel
- Rain Ends RailRiders Season Early but with a Win