Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2
Baby Cakes batters bashed three home runs, including a solo shot from J.T. Riddle as part of a six-run fourth inning, while Omaha first baseman Cheslor Cuthbert upped his hit streak to 13 games and Storm Chasers center fielder Bubba Starling collected two hits in New Orleans' 9-2 win on Monday evening at The Shrine on Airline.
After Omaha struck first by taking advantage of a Baby Cakes balk in the top of the third, New Orleans SS Deven Marrero evened the contest with a solo homer in the bottom of the frame. The Baby Cakes then surged ahead with their big six-run frame aided by Riddle's solo shot. Riddle would later drive in two more runs to cap the inning's scoring via a two-run single to center, opening the advantage to 7-1.
New Orleans put an exclamation mark on the night via C Bryan Holaday 'solo homer in the eighth, along with 2B Isan Diaz 's RBI double. Storm Chasers DH Erick Mejia 's run-scoring single in the ninth narrowed the deficit to seven.
Riddle (3-5, R, HR, 3 RBI), Diaz (2-5, 2 RBI), Holaday (2-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, RBI) and RF Peter O'Brien all posted multi-hit efforts for the Baby Cakes. Starling (2-3), Mejia (2-3, RBI, BB) and LF Elier Hernandez (2-3, 2B), meanwhile, each recorded two knocks for Omaha in the defeat. Cuthbert led off the second inning with a single to center to extend his hit streak to 13. 3B Kelvin Gutierrez began the sixth with a single of his own, meaning he has now reached base in each of his 16 games played with the Storm Chasers in 2019.
New Orleans starter Zac Gallen (6.2 IP, 7 H, R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 6 K) earned his second victory with a quality outing, while Omaha starter Arnaldo Hernandez (3.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat. Storm Chasers relievers Andres Machado (2.1 IP, BB, K) and Josh Staumont (1.0 IP, 3 K) combined for 3.1 hitless frames of work.
After an off day on Tuesday, the Storm Chasers return to Werner Park on Wednesday, April 24 to begin a five-game homestand versus the Memphis Redbirds. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Three Homers Aren't Enough as Dodgers Avoid Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound - San Antonio Missions
- Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Little Caesars to Offer "We Win...You Win" Promotion for Salt Lake Bees Games - Salt Lake Bees
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Sweep Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8) - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Rally for Five Ninth Inning Runs to Complete Comeback against Isotopes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Drop Series Finale, Return Home Wednesday - Reno Aces
- Aviators Host El Paso from April 24-28 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Jones Drives Express to 9-4 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- France, Gomber Shine, Honored with Weekly Awards - PCL
- Gomber Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-7) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Omaha Storm Chasers Single-Game Tickets Available February 4
- NEST, Storm Chasers Announce Annual Writing Sweepstakes
- Chasers' Coaching Staff Announced for 2020 Season
- Chasers Announce Changes to Radio Broadcast Team
- Storm Chasers Announce Additions and Promotions to Front Office