Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory
Jose Rojas belted two homers, including a grand slam, and drove in six runs to help lead the Salt Lake Bees to an 8-4 win over the Sacramento River Cats on Monday afternoon. The Bees trailed 2-1 with two out and no one on base in the seventh when Ty Kelly singled, Brennon Lund walked and Taylor Ward reached on a catcher's interference to load the bases.
Former Bee and Angel Williams Jerez came out of the bullpen for Sacramento and hit Jared Walsh in the right shoulder on a 1-0 pitch to force in the tying run. Rojas then turned on a 1-2 pitch from Jerez and deposited it into the right field bullpen to give Salt Lake a 6-2 lead. After the River Cats scored two runs in the eighth, the Bees put it away in the ninth on solo homers by Taylor Ward and Rojas, who had given the Bees a 1-0 in the first with an RBI single
Mike Kaelin (1-0) earned his first career Triple-A win by tossing two scoreless innings with two strikeouts and no walks. Jake Jewell recorded the final four outs to pick up his first save of the season. Starting pitcher Greg Mahle went four innings and allowed two runs on four hits with two walks and four strikeouts. Ward added three hits and one RBI, as the Bees salvage the final game of the series to go 2-5 on the road trip.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Three Homers Aren't Enough as Dodgers Avoid Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound - San Antonio Missions
- Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Little Caesars to Offer "We Win...You Win" Promotion for Salt Lake Bees Games - Salt Lake Bees
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Sweep Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8) - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Rally for Five Ninth Inning Runs to Complete Comeback against Isotopes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Drop Series Finale, Return Home Wednesday - Reno Aces
- Aviators Host El Paso from April 24-28 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Jones Drives Express to 9-4 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- France, Gomber Shine, Honored with Weekly Awards - PCL
- Gomber Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-7) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.