Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha
JT Riddle homered and delivered a two-run single as the New Orleans Baby Cakes sent 11 batters to the plate in a six-run fourth inning en route to a 9-2 win over the Omaha Storm Chasers on Monday night.
The 'Cakes took the final three games of the series, their longst winning streak of the year, and went 5-2 on the homestand to move a season-high two games above .500.
New Orleans committed two errors in the third inning, and a balk allowed Omaha to plate a run, but the lead was short-lived as Deven Marrero homered in the bottom of the frame to even the score.
After missing the last three games with a finger injury, Riddle led off the fourth with a home run to right-center to put the Baby Cakes on top for good and open the floodgates. Four of the next five batters collected singles and 11 men came to the plate in the inning, including a second at-bat for Riddle, who lined a single to center with the bases loaded to score two runs.
Bryan Holaday homered in the eighth inning, his second hit of the game, and Peter O'Brien added two singles to finish 7-for-16 in the series with five RBI.
Zac Gallen, who entered the game with a Pacific Coast League-leading 0.48 ERA, scattered seven hits in 6 2/3 innings and allowed just one unearned run. The right-hander retired the side only once, but was assisted by four double plays, including one he started after loading the bases with no outs in the fifth.
Gallen (2-0) walked three and struck out six in lowering his ERA to 0.36.
Arnaldo Hernandez (0-2) was charged with seven runs on nine hits in 3 2/3 innings to suffer the loss.
The Baby Cakes travel to Round Rock to open a five-game set against the first-place Express starting Wednesday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Three Homers Aren't Enough as Dodgers Avoid Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound - San Antonio Missions
- Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Little Caesars to Offer "We Win...You Win" Promotion for Salt Lake Bees Games - Salt Lake Bees
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Sweep Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8) - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Rally for Five Ninth Inning Runs to Complete Comeback against Isotopes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Drop Series Finale, Return Home Wednesday - Reno Aces
- Aviators Host El Paso from April 24-28 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Jones Drives Express to 9-4 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- France, Gomber Shine, Honored with Weekly Awards - PCL
- Gomber Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-7) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.