Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds (9-9) were hampered by the home run Monday afternoon at AutoZone Park and lost the series finale to the Round Rock Express (Astros), 9-4.
Memphis pitching gave up four long balls, with two coming to Taylor Jones in his first two at-bats of the game. Yordan Alvarez blasted his 10th of the season in the ninth inning, and Jack Mayfield added one in the ninth as well.
On the Redbirds' side, Johan Mieses had two home runs of his own and finished the game with three RBI. He also made a run-saving diving catch in right field. John Nogowski had two hits for Memphis, and he drove in the club's other run in the ballgame.
Mieses' two homers marked the first two-homer game for a Redbird hitter this year.
Genesis Cabrera started and allowed four runs on four hits in 4.0 innings, and he was followed out of the Memphis bullpen by Ryan Meisinger, Tommy Layne, and Chris Beck.
The Redbirds now hit the road for 13 games in 14 days at Omaha, New Orleans, and Nashville. Memphis returns to AutoZone Park on Tuesday, May 7.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Thursday, May 9 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products, featuring the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, May 10 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option, featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat tacos buffet, purchased at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat, Papa John's Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option, with free ballpark food and Papa John's pizzas, at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, May 11 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, May 12 at 2:05: Papa John's Mother's Day with a brunch and catch on the field specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/mothersday, Kids and Moms Run the Bases after the game, Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering), pregame autographs presented by Allegiant Air
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Three Homers Aren't Enough as Dodgers Avoid Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound - San Antonio Missions
- Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Little Caesars to Offer "We Win...You Win" Promotion for Salt Lake Bees Games - Salt Lake Bees
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Sweep Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8) - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Rally for Five Ninth Inning Runs to Complete Comeback against Isotopes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Drop Series Finale, Return Home Wednesday - Reno Aces
- Aviators Host El Paso from April 24-28 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Jones Drives Express to 9-4 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- France, Gomber Shine, Honored with Weekly Awards - PCL
- Gomber Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-7) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Longtime Voice of the Redbirds Steve Selby Retires
- Memphis Redbirds Announce 2021 Schedule
- MLB Announces Minor League Baseball Teams
- Cardinals Announce Minor League Coaching Staffs and Player Development Assignments for 2021
- Randy Boyd Joins Memphis Redbirds Leadership Group