Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss
West Sacramento, Calif. - Right-handed starter Shaun Anderson turned out a solid 5.2-inning outing but the bullpen would falter, resulting in an 8-4 loss for the Sacramento River Cats (9-9) at the hands of the Salt Lake Bees (5-12).
Anderson struck out five, allowed a pair of doubles, and surrendered just one run in his best start of the season. But submariner Tyler Rogers loaded the bases in the seventh inning and was pulled for lefty Williams Jerez. After plunking the first batter he faced, Jerez watched a grand slam clear the fence off the bat of Bees third baseman Jose Rojas - one of two home runs the lefty would hit in the game.
River Cats third baseman Donovan Solano stayed hot at the plate as he recorded nearly half of the team's eight hits on Monday. Batting .353 on the season, the veteran Columbian infielder now has nine hits in his last four games.
After enjoying their first scheduled off-day of the season, the River Cats will kick off a nine-game road trip with five games in Tacoma facing the Rainiers. Southpaw Ty Blach (0-0, 5.68) will get the ball for game one while Tacoma is scheduled to send righty Christian Bergman (0-1, 6.75) to the mound. First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Anderson's 5.2 innings marked his longest outing of the young season. He pitched five or more innings in all eight of his starts last year with Sacramento.
- The grand slam to Rojas was the first allowed by Sacramento since August 22 of last season when Astros prospect Kyle Tucker launched one at Raley Field against Roberto Gomez. Amazingly, they gave one up to Albuquerque's Josh Fuentes just five days earlier.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Three Homers Aren't Enough as Dodgers Avoid Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound - San Antonio Missions
- Six-Run Fourth Powers 'Cakes Past Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Offensive Struggles Continue in Sounds Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Rojas Leads Bees to An 8-4 Victory - Salt Lake Bees
- Little Caesars to Offer "We Win...You Win" Promotion for Salt Lake Bees Games - Salt Lake Bees
- Grand slam dooms River Cats in series-ending loss - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Sweep Reno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (5-12) vs. San Antonio Missions (9-8) - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Rally for Five Ninth Inning Runs to Complete Comeback against Isotopes - Tacoma Rainiers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Drop Series Finale, Return Home Wednesday - Reno Aces
- Aviators Host El Paso from April 24-28 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Jones Drives Express to 9-4 Victory over Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ty France Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- France, Gomber Shine, Honored with Weekly Awards - PCL
- Gomber Named Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-8) vs. Round Rock Express (10-7) - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.