Admirals Fall Late to Wild
Milwaukee, WI - Iowa's Nico Strum scored with just 70 seconds remaining in the game to break a 2-2 tie and give the Wild a 3-2 victory over the Admirals in match-up of the top two teams in the Central Division.
Cole Schneider and Rem Pitlick scored the goals for Milwaukee, who still leads the Central by five points (77-72) over the Wild.
The Admirals got on the board first when Cole Schneider picked up his 15th goal of the season with a shorthanded tally 9:01 into the contest. With an extended reach, Freddy Gaudreau was able to tip the puck out of the Ads zone where Schneider collected it and then went in on a breakaway, beating Iowa goalie Kaapo Kahkonen with a backhand to the glove side.
Rem Pitlick pushed the Ads lead to two with a rebound tally just 2:57 into the second period. Freddy Allard fired a shot from the left point that deflected off of Eeli Tolvanen and went to the right, where Pitlick was stationed on the goal line and he had a wide open net.
Iowa cut the lead in half at the 5:08 mark of the sandwich frame as his slapper from the right dot that beat Troy Grosenick to the glove side.
The Wild would tie the score when Dmitry Sokolov knock a puck out of mid-air just to the left of the Admirals cage.
The score stayed knotted at two until there was just 1:10 remaining. Iowa's Matt Bartkowski's shot took an odd bounce off the back boards and bounced to the front of the net where Strum chipped it in for his 12th goal of the season.
Milwaukee pulled Grosenick in favor of an extra attacker after Strum's tally, but they couldn't get the equalizer and lost for just the fifth time at home all season.
The Admirals continue their four-game homestand when they host the Chicago Wolves on Friday night at Panther Arena at 7 pm. The Ads will retire Darren Haydar's number 20 during a first intermission ceremony and the first 3,500 fans will get a bobblehead of the Admiral Great.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2020
- Condors Home Tomorrow with $2 Beer (805) and $1 Hot Dogs - Bakersfield Condors
- Dries Recalled by Avalanche, Tynan, McGauley, Wagner Return to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Diego Gulls Announce New Gulls Elite Membership Program - San Diego Gulls
- Graham Knott Reassigned to Pengunis from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 20 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Join the Hogs Friday for $2 Bud Lights - Rockford IceHogs
- Florida Panthers Recall F Dryden Hunt from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Griffins Rally Past Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Canucks Return Guillaume Brisebois and Tyler Graovac to Comets - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Acquire F Danick Martel from Tampa Bay Lightning - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Forward Anthony Greco from Florida Panthers - Syracuse Crunch
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Dallas Stars Reassign Left Wing Joel Kiviranta to Texas - Texas Stars
- Toronto at Texas Game Rescheduled for March 2 - Toronto Marlies
- Thunderbirds Recall D Dylan MacPherson from Loan to Greenville - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game against Toronto Rescheduled for March 2 - Texas Stars
- Wolf Pack Trade Tom McCollum and Lewis Zerter-Gossage to Lehigh Valley - Hartford Wolf Pack
- NHL Defensemen Shayne Gostisbehere Joins Phantoms for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Acquire G Tom McCollum and F Lewis Zerter-Gossage - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gulls Topple Stockton, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Quine Extends Record Point Streak, Heat Fall 3-2 - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stuns Milwaukee with 3-2 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Drop 5-4 Shootout Decision to Moose - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Fall Late to Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Rally to Top Amerks in Overtime - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.