WooSox Muster Four Hits in Road Defeat against Buffalo
TRENTON, N.J. - The Buffalo Bisons (3-0) continued their dominant start against the Worcester Red Sox (0-3) in the first series of the season with a 10-1 win on Thursday night.
Buffalo's pitching quieted the WooSox bats once again in the early going. Bisons starter Alek Manoah, a first 2019 1st Round draft choice, struck out 12 in six scoreless innings at Trenton Thunder Ballpark.
Manoah was aided by quick offense from Buffalo. In the second, Worcester starter Daniel Gossett walked the leadoff man. After the walk and two base hits, Christian Colon cracked a first pitch sac fly to put the Bisons up 1-0. Gossett went three innings his first game action in nearly three full years, returning from Tommy John Surgery.
Buffalo would score again in the third, sixth, seventh and eighth and hit three home runs for the second time in as many nights. Rowdy Tellez crushed a homer in the third to center, Logan Warmoth tacked on a solo shot three innings later and Colon added a two-run job in the seventh to make it 7-1. That lead would eventually reach 10-1, bolstered by a 17-hit night for Buffalo.
Worcester's lone run of the night came in the seventh. Marcus Wilson extended his hit streak to three games to push Jonathan Araúz to third. One batter later, Araúz scored on a Cesar Puello sac fly.
The WooSox continue their six-game road series Friday night at 7:00 p.m. against Buffalo, who is playing at the former home of the Trenton Thunder while the Toronto Blue Jays prepare to play at Sahlen Field.
Radio coverage on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:40 p.m.
After their opening week series against the Bisons, the WooSox will return home to Polar Park on Tuesday, May 11 for their historic home opener against the Syracuse Mets at 3:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 6, 2021
- RailRiders Take Slugfest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Liberatore Shines in Memphis Debut - Memphis Redbirds
- Deja Vu All over Again: Wings Lose in Walk-Off Fashion for 3rd Straight Game - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Defeats Memphis 4-3 for Third Straight Win - Durham Bulls
- Poteet Fans Ten as Jumbo Shrimp Win Third Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chatham's walk-off in 10th gives IronPigs first ever 3-0 start - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gutierrez Deals, Bats Erupt in 9-0 Rout of Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Thursday's Contest to Stripers 4-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Muster Four Hits in Road Defeat against Buffalo - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds and Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (1-1) at Iowa Cubs (1-1) - Indianapolis Indians
- WooSox to Offer Single Game Tickets for First Homestead this Week - Worcester Red Sox
- Memphis Redbirds Updated Roster & Game Notes: May 6, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- May 6 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Red Wings to Put Single-Game Tickets on Sale May 14 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sounds Begin 2021 Home Slate with 12-Game, 13-Day Double Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, City of Jacksonville Agree to 121 Financial Ballpark Lease Extension - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Safety Protocols at Victory Field Implemented for Start of 2021 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 6, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hager Hits Grand Slam, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 7-5, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Updates to Coolray Field for 2021 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Long Ball Gets Iowa First Win of 2021 - Iowa Cubs
- Home Runs Hand Indianapolis First Loss of 2021 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Beat the Stripers 9-6 to Earn First Win in 2021 - Charlotte Knights
- Wild Pitch secures win for the Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Seven-Game Win Streak Snapped in 8-2 Loss to Lehigh Valley
- WooSox Return Home, Continue Hot Streak with 10-1 Win
- Single Game Tickets for Remainder of WooSox '21 Home Games to Go on Sale Tomorrow, June 15
- WooSox Complete Six-Game Sweep with Big Offensive Day
- WooSox Dominate Mets Again for Fifth Straight Victory