Wild Pitch secures win for the Pigs
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (2-0) continue to kick off the 2021 campaign in dramatic fashion as they defeat the Rochester Red Wings (0-2) 8-7 in walk-off fashion. Josh Stephen scored on a wild pitch by Joan Baez (0-1) to give the IronPigs the win.
The Pigs' got going in the first inning as Darick Hall and C.J. Chatham hit back-to-back RBI singles against Steven Fuentes to take a 2-0 lead. Jean Segura scored on an RBI single from Luke Williams in the bottom of the 2nd inning to extend the lead to 3-0.
Lehigh extended their lead to 4-0 in the bottom of the third inning as Chatham scored on an RBI groundout.
The Red Wings scored two runs in the top of the fourth inning and three runs in the top of the fifth inning to take a 5-4 lead against David Parkinson. Rochester tacked on two more runs as Yasmany Tomas hit a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning against Kyle Dohy to take a 7-5 lead.
The IronPigs got two runs in the top of the eighth inning to tie the game at 7-7 when Luke Williams hit a two-run single off Kevin McGowin.
Neftali Feliz (1-0) was awarded the win after pitching a scoreless top of the ninth inning.
The IronPigs and Red Wings play on Thursday evening at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2021 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 6, 2021
- RailRiders Take Slugfest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Liberatore Shines in Memphis Debut - Memphis Redbirds
- Deja Vu All over Again: Wings Lose in Walk-Off Fashion for 3rd Straight Game - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Defeats Memphis 4-3 for Third Straight Win - Durham Bulls
- Poteet Fans Ten as Jumbo Shrimp Win Third Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chatham's walk-off in 10th gives IronPigs first ever 3-0 start - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gutierrez Deals, Bats Erupt in 9-0 Rout of Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Thursday's Contest to Stripers 4-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Muster Four Hits in Road Defeat against Buffalo - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds and Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (1-1) at Iowa Cubs (1-1) - Indianapolis Indians
- WooSox to Offer Single Game Tickets for First Homestead this Week - Worcester Red Sox
- Memphis Redbirds Updated Roster & Game Notes: May 6, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- May 6 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Red Wings to Put Single-Game Tickets on Sale May 14 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sounds Begin 2021 Home Slate with 12-Game, 13-Day Double Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, City of Jacksonville Agree to 121 Financial Ballpark Lease Extension - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Safety Protocols at Victory Field Implemented for Start of 2021 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 6, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hager Hits Grand Slam, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 7-5, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Updates to Coolray Field for 2021 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Long Ball Gets Iowa First Win of 2021 - Iowa Cubs
- Home Runs Hand Indianapolis First Loss of 2021 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Beat the Stripers 9-6 to Earn First Win in 2021 - Charlotte Knights
- Wild Pitch secures win for the Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.