Durham Defeats Memphis 4-3 for Third Straight Win
MEMPHIS, TN - Durham left fielder Vidal Brujan blasted his second home run in as many nights and second baseman Taylor Walls tallied three hits as the Bulls won their third straight game to start the year with a 4-3 triumph over the Memphis Redbirds on Thursday evening at AutoZone Park.
Brujan recorded his third straight multi-hit effort to start 2021, and began the scoring by blasting a two-run homer in the third. Durham doubled their advantage in the seventh courtesy of 2B Walls' RBI single prior to C Brett Sullivan scoring on a fielder's choice. Memphis later narrowed the deficit to 4-3 via SS Jose Rondon's three-run homer in the eighth, however Louis Head shut the door in the ninth to preserve Durham's victory.
Head (1.0 IP, 2 K) notched his second save in as many opportunities, while reliever Dalton Moats earned his first victory in support of starter Brent Honeywell Jr. (2.0 IP, 3 K). Redbirds starter Matthew Liberatore (6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K) suffered the defeat.
Walls (3-3, R, RBI, BB) reached base four times to pace the Durham batting order, joined by Brujan (2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI) and Sullivan (2-4, R) in recording multi-hit efforts.
Durham and Memphis are slated to square off in game four of their six-game series on Friday evening. First pitch is scheduled for 8:10pm ET. RHP Drew Strotman is expected to make his Triple-A debut for the Bulls, while the Redbirds' starter has not yet been announced.
Following Durham's road series in Memphis, the Bulls are set to return to Durham Bulls Athletic Park to begin their 2021 home slate versus the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp on Tuesday, May 11. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35pm. Tickets with socially-distanced seating for that game and all Bulls home games in May are available at durhambulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 6, 2021
- RailRiders Take Slugfest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Liberatore Shines in Memphis Debut - Memphis Redbirds
- Deja Vu All over Again: Wings Lose in Walk-Off Fashion for 3rd Straight Game - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Defeats Memphis 4-3 for Third Straight Win - Durham Bulls
- Poteet Fans Ten as Jumbo Shrimp Win Third Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chatham's walk-off in 10th gives IronPigs first ever 3-0 start - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gutierrez Deals, Bats Erupt in 9-0 Rout of Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Thursday's Contest to Stripers 4-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Muster Four Hits in Road Defeat against Buffalo - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds and Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (1-1) at Iowa Cubs (1-1) - Indianapolis Indians
- WooSox to Offer Single Game Tickets for First Homestead this Week - Worcester Red Sox
- Memphis Redbirds Updated Roster & Game Notes: May 6, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- May 6 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Red Wings to Put Single-Game Tickets on Sale May 14 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sounds Begin 2021 Home Slate with 12-Game, 13-Day Double Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, City of Jacksonville Agree to 121 Financial Ballpark Lease Extension - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Safety Protocols at Victory Field Implemented for Start of 2021 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 6, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hager Hits Grand Slam, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 7-5, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Updates to Coolray Field for 2021 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Long Ball Gets Iowa First Win of 2021 - Iowa Cubs
- Home Runs Hand Indianapolis First Loss of 2021 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Beat the Stripers 9-6 to Earn First Win in 2021 - Charlotte Knights
- Wild Pitch secures win for the Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.