Knights Beat the Stripers 9-6 to Earn First Win in 2021
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - Wes Helms was named manager of the Charlotte Knights on January 13, 2020. On Wednesday -- 478 days later -- he earned his first career managerial win.
Tim Beckham launched his first home run of the season, Gavin Sheets added a team-high three RBIs and the Knights beat the Gwinnett Stripers by a score of 9-6 on Wednesday night from Truist Field. The win was Charlotte's first of the season and first since August 31, 2019.
Helms, a native of nearby Gastonia, NC, was set to begin his first season as Charlotte's manager in 2020. Instead, the season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and his managerial debut was put on hold. On Wednesday, it was history in the making for Helms in his second game as a manager. He was helped by his club's offense, which tallied 16 hits on the evening.
Sheets once again had a solid night at the plate. The former Wake Forest University product went 3-for-5 with two doubles and three RBIs. Blake Rutherford, Seby Zavala, Joe DeCarlo, Marco Hernández and Beckham all added two hits apiece. For Beckham, it was his first home run as a member of the White Sox organization and the 99th of his professional career (36 in the minors and 63 in the majors).
RHP Jonathan Stiever started for the Knights and allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. Stiever, a member of the White Sox 40-man roster, struck-out four batters and walked just one. He tossed 69 pitches on the night. RHP Tanner Banks (1-0, 2.25) was the winning pitcher of the night. He gave up one run over four innings in relief of Stiever.
The two teams will continue their six-game series on Thursday at 7:04 p.m. from Truist Field. RHP Mike Wright is scheduled to get the start for the Knights in game three against Gwinnett RHP Bryse Wilson. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and CharlotteKnights.com. Gates for the game open at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 6, 2021
- RailRiders Take Slugfest - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Liberatore Shines in Memphis Debut - Memphis Redbirds
- Deja Vu All over Again: Wings Lose in Walk-Off Fashion for 3rd Straight Game - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Defeats Memphis 4-3 for Third Straight Win - Durham Bulls
- Poteet Fans Ten as Jumbo Shrimp Win Third Straight - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Chatham's walk-off in 10th gives IronPigs first ever 3-0 start - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gutierrez Deals, Bats Erupt in 9-0 Rout of Clippers - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Thursday's Contest to Stripers 4-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Muster Four Hits in Road Defeat against Buffalo - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds and Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (1-1) at Iowa Cubs (1-1) - Indianapolis Indians
- WooSox to Offer Single Game Tickets for First Homestead this Week - Worcester Red Sox
- Memphis Redbirds Updated Roster & Game Notes: May 6, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- May 6 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Red Wings to Put Single-Game Tickets on Sale May 14 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sounds Begin 2021 Home Slate with 12-Game, 13-Day Double Homestand - Nashville Sounds
- Jumbo Shrimp, City of Jacksonville Agree to 121 Financial Ballpark Lease Extension - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Safety Protocols at Victory Field Implemented for Start of 2021 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 6, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hager Hits Grand Slam, But Mets Fall to RailRiders, 7-5, on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Updates to Coolray Field for 2021 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Long Ball Gets Iowa First Win of 2021 - Iowa Cubs
- Home Runs Hand Indianapolis First Loss of 2021 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Beat the Stripers 9-6 to Earn First Win in 2021 - Charlotte Knights
- Wild Pitch secures win for the Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.