Wolves Roll to 5-0
ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS - Beck Warm rejected 37 shots and Ryan Suzuki scored his first professional goal as the Chicago Wolves stayed undefeated with a 3-2 road victory over the Rockford IceHogs Tuesday night.
Forwards Anthony Richard and Phil Tomasino joined Suzuki in the scoring column as the Wolves became the second American Hockey League team to jump out to a 5-0-0-0 start. The 21-year-old Warm earned his second win in as many pro starts.
Richard gave the Wolves the lead for good just 1:21 into the night. Center Tommy Novak chipped a pass ahead to set up a 2-on-1 rush for Richard, who roared down the right side and fired a wrister past Rockford goaltender Matt Tomkins (32 saves).
The 19-year-old Suzuki earned his first pro goal at 12:55 of the first to give Chicago a 2-0 advantage. Defenseman Joey Keane launched a rocket from the point that Tomkins parried, but Richard chased down the rebound and slid a pass across the slot to the wide-open Suzuki for a quick smash into the net on the power play.
Tomasino pushed Chicago's lead to 3-0 at 13:32 of the second as Jarvis triggered a breakout by banking a pass ahead to David Cotton. Blessed with a 2-on-1 advantage as he entered the offensive zone, Cotton backhanded a pass to Tomasino racing down the slot and the 19-year-old flipped it home top-shelf.
Warm stopped the first 28 shots he faced, but Rockford's Chris Wilkie and Isaak Phillips scored 19 seconds apart to pull the IceHogs within 3-2 with 12:40 left in regulation. Rockford (0-3-1-0) enjoyed two more power-play opportunities, but the Wolves finished 5 for 5 on the penalty kill.
The Wolves host the Iowa Wild at 7 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday at the Chicago Wolves Training Facility in Hoffman Estates.
While safety protocols prevent fans from attending home games this season, their smiling faces can be in the building with a personalized cutout in the Chicago Wolves Fan Gallery, presented by Hefty. To purchase yours, visit ChicagoWolvesStore.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
WOLVES 3, ICEHOGS 2
Chicago 2 1 0 -- 3
Rockford 0 0 2 -- 2
First Period-1, Chicago, Richard 1 (Novak, Davies), 1:21; 2, Chicago, Suzuki 1 (Richard, Mattheos), 12;55 pp.
Penalties-Gagne, Rockford (hooking), 8:09; Rockford (too many men, served by Morrison), 11:15; Morrison, Rockford (hooking), 19:26.
Second Period-3, Chicago, Tomasino 3 (D. Cotton, Jarvis), 13:32;
Penalties-Mattheos, Chicago (slashing), 0:34; Regula, Rockford (hooking), 7:13; Richard, Chicago (roughing), 8:03; Keane, Chicago (tripping), 17:23;
Third Period-4, Rockford, Wilkie 2 (Morrison, Moberg), 7:01; 5, Rockford, Phillips 1 (Wilkie), 7:20.
Penalties-Richard, Chicago (tripping), 9:14; Keane, Chicago (cross-checking), 19:44.
Shots on goal-Chicago 15-12-9-36; Rockford 7-17-15-39. Power plays-Chicago 1-4; Rockford 0-5. Goalies-Chicago, Warm (37-39); Rockford, Tomkins (32-36). Referees-Jarrod Ragusin and Jonathon Sitarski. Linesmen-Mike Daltrey and Jameson Gronert.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2021
- Wolves Roll to 5-0 - Chicago Wolves
- San Diego Gulls Sign Left Wing Jamie Devane to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Svechnikov Joins Detroit's Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- February 19 Home Game Moved to Wednesday, February 24 at 6 p.m. - Binghamton Devils
- Phantoms Away Game Rescheduled - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Givani Smith Reassigned to the Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Set for Home Opener against the Crunch Tomorrow Night - Utica Comets
- Hershey Bears Weekly #2: with Points in First Three Games, Bears Look for Pair of Wins this Week - Hershey Bears
- Colorado Recalls Goaltender Kevin Carr - Colorado Eagles
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket February 16th - Belleville Senators
- Roadrunners, CW Tucson Announce TV Broadcast Schedule - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iowa Wild Recalls Defensemen Philip Beaulieu and Matt Register - Iowa Wild
- Tonight's San Jose-Texas AHL Game Postponed Due to Weather - AHL
- American Hockey League Announces Postponement of Tonight's Game - San Jose Barracuda
- Texas Stars Postpone Tonight's Game Versus San Jose Barracuda - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Forward Nikita Pavlychev from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League, CCM Announce 5-Year Extension of Partnership - AHL
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs Open Four-Game Homestand Tonight vs. Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Open the Season with a Win in Winnipeg - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Edged in Season Opener - Manitoba Moose
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.