Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday
South Bend, IN - Grant Witherspoon hit his eighth home run of the season in a 2-0 win over the South Bend Cubs on Thursday night at Four Winds Field in South Bend, IN. The Hot Rods improve are 1-0 in the second half and 40-31 overall. Bowling Green and South Bend continue their four-game series on Friday with a 6:35 PM CDT first pitch.
After four scoreless innings, Bowling Green plated the first run of the game against South Bend starter Derek Casey. Roberto Alvarez doubled to right on the first pitch of the inning and went to third when Russ Olive grounded out to second. Beau Brundage singled to right, plating Alvarez to give the Hot Rods a 1-0 lead.
In the sixth, All-Star Witherspoon rudely greeted Cubs reliever Brendan King. Witherspoon led off the inning for the Hot Rods and in a 1-1 count, drove the third pitch he saw over the right-field wall to make it a 2-0 game. Witherspoon's eighth homer of the year sailed past the scoreboard and landed on top of a bounce house on the stadium concourse. Cristopher Sanchez threw four scoreless innings out of the bullpen to close out a 2-0 shutout victory to kick off the second-half of the season.
Miller Hogan (1-1) allowed three hits over his five-shutout innings with three strikeouts in a win. Sanchez earned a save after four shutout innings, allowing two hits and a walk with six strikeouts.
Notes: Hogan tied his career-high with five innings of work... It's the third time he's done so... He also tied his season-high in hits allowed with three... Alvarez has a four-game hit streak... Proctor has a three-game hitting streak... Brundage snapped a seven-game hitless stretch... Olive and Jordan Qsar both had a hit in their first game for the Hot Rods... Witherspoon had his 16th multi-hit game of the season... The Hot Rods are 5-6 in shutouts this season... BG earned their second win of the season against South Bend on Thursday and are 2-5 in the season series... Sanchez tied a season-high with six strikeouts... South Bend's Tyler Durna had three of the Cubs' five hits... The Hot Rods continue their four-game series with the South Bend Cubs on Friday with a 6:35 PM CDT first pitch... Bowling Green will send LH Matthew Liberatore (5-0, 1.85) to the mound to face South Bend RH Peyton Remy (2-3, 3.70).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020