Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss
GRAND CHUTE, WI - Early offense was all the Clinton LumberKings managed against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in a 5-2 loss on Thursday night at Neuroscience Group Field. The loss was the LumberKings (0-1, 33-37) fourth straight to the Timber Rattlers (1-0, 32-38) as they have yet to win a game in Wisconsin this season.
Clinton began the scoring with their only two runs of the night. They jumped out with three hits and two runs against Timber Rattlers starter Justin Jarvis. Connor Scott chased home the first run of the night with an RBI double and scored himself, two batters later, on an Evan Edwards RBI single to right.
Jarvis (1-0) allowed no more over a seven inning outing for Wisconsin. He allowed two runs on five hits while walking none and striking out five and earned his first win of the year for his time out.
LumberKings starter Alberto Guerrero allowed Wisconsin to answer Clinton's first inning rally with a run in the bottom of the inning. Brice Turang opened the frame with a double and scored on a combination ground out and wild pitch.
Guerrero (3-2) held on to the lead until the Timber Rattlers erupted for a three-run rally in the fourth. Seven Wisconsin batters came up in the inning, which began with a pair of walks. Je'Von Ward doubled home the first run and was followed by a Yeisson Coca sacrifice fly and Turang RBI single to left.
The three-run fourth put Wisconsin on top for good and was enough to hang Guerrero with the loss. He worked six innings, allowing four runs on five hits while walking three and striking out five.
The Timber Rattlers added the final run of the night in the bottom of the seventh. David Fry slugged a solo home run to left for his ninth long fly of the year.
Anthony Bender worked the ninth for Wisconsin and earned his fourth save of the season. After an Evan Edwards one out single he induced a game ending double play from Thomas Jones.
The LumberKings will meet the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers for the second game of their three-game series on Friday night. Clinton will throw righty George Soriano (2-2, 3.97) while Wisconsin will tap righty Reese Olson (2-4, 5.32). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:50 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th