Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season
Dayton, Ohio - Three Dayton pitchers combined to allow only six hits as the Dragons defeated the Lansing Lugnuts 7-2 on Thursday night in the opener to the Second Half season.
The Dragons collected 11 hits in the victory, their first win in a second half opener since 2015. Jay Schuyler, Pabel Manzanero, Juan Martinez, and Bren Spillane each had two hits.
Dragons relievers Alexis Diaz and Matt Pidich combined for four and one-third innings of one-hit, scoreless baseball to protect an early Dragons lead.
The Dragons got off to a quick start with one run in the second inning. The scoring rally began when Manzanero ripped a double off the center field fence. Spillane's single off the glove of the shortstop moved Manzanero to third with one out, and Brian Rey followed with a sacrifice fly to center field to bring in the run.
Lansing tied the game with a run in the top of the fourth, but the Dragons responded with two runs in the bottom of the same inning. With two outs and the bases empty, Martinez singled and scored on a double to right by Spillane. Rey singled to left to drive in Spillane and make it 3-1.
Both teams scored a run in the fifth before the Dragons took command of the game in the sixth. The inning started with three consecutive singles by Schuyler, Manzanero, and Martinez to bring in the first run of the frame. Manzanero eventually scored on a wild pitch, and a passed ball brought in Martinez to make it 7-2.
Dragons starting pitcher Lyon Richardson was effective over four and two-thirds innings. He allowed five hits and two runs with two walks and seven strikeouts, throwing 86 pitches. Diaz (6-3) replaced Richardson with a runner at third and two outs in the fifth and worked out of trouble. Diaz left the game after tossing two and one-third scoreless innings, allowing one hit and two walks without a strikeout.
Pidich entered the game to start the eighth inning and tossed two scoreless innings without surrendering a hit. He walked one and struck out two.
Notes: The Dragons improved their record in the month of June to 12-4...Rey extended his hitting streak to nine straight games, while Randy Ventura saw his 11-game hitting streak end with an 0 for 3 night.
Up Next: The Dragons (1-0, 29-42) host the Lugnuts (0-1, 32-38) in the second game of the Second Half season on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. James Marinan (2-6, 4.90) will start for the Dragons against Lansing's Cobi Johnson (1-5, 4.80).
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen