Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids
PEORIA, ILL. - A pair of late home runs launched the Peoria Chiefs to a 4-2 win Thursday evening against the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Dozer Park. Peoria (1-0, 31-39) picked up a 1-0 lead in its four-game series with Cedar Rapids (0-1, 39-32) to open the second half of the 2019 season.
The Chiefs jumped in front, 1-0, during the second inning. Leandro Cedeno hit a one-out single and scored from first base on a Brandon Benson double coupled with an error.
In the third, the Kernels posted two runs of their own to take a 2-1 lead. Yeltsin Encarnacion's RBI single drove in Ricky De La Torre and tied the game. Three batters later, Chris Williams delivered a sacrifice fly that brought Jacob Pearson home.
Two round-trippers in as many innings pushed Peoria ahead by a 4-2 margin. Bryce Denton led off the seventh inning with a solo shot to left field. Brendan Donovan smashed a two-run blast to right field to break the tie in the eighth.
Sebastian Tabata (3-1) tossed two scoreless and hitless innings and earned the win. Freddy Pacheco was credited with a hold, but Cole Aker inherited a bases-loaded jam from Pacheco during the ninth and recorded a strikeout to complete his third save in as many opportunities.
Carlos Suniaga (0-2) was the losing pitcher in the series opener Thursday. He gave up two runs including one earned run within his second loss this season.
This four-game series continues Friday at 6:35 p.m. with Kernels right-hander Luis Rijo (1-4, 3.05) scheduled to face Chiefs right-hander Michael Brettell (2-4, 4.50). Broadcast coverage with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will be available on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids will host its next homestand Tuesday, June 25 through Monday, July 1. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks