Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers changed their name to the Udder Tuggers for their Salute to Cows promotion on Thursday night and rallied for a 5-2 win over the Clinton LumberKings at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium in the second-half opener for both teams.
Clinton (33-37 overall, 0-1 second half) took the lead with two runs in the first inning. Christopher Torres singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. Connor Scott drove in Torres with a ground-rule double to right. Later in the inning, Evan Edward singled to right-center to drive home Scott.
Wisconsin (32-38, 1-0) rallied for a run in the bottom of the first. Brice Turang doubled to start the inning. He moved to third on a grounder. A wild pitch let Turang score.
The Udder Tuggers took the lead in the bottom of the fourth inning with three runs. Jesús Lujano and Connor McVey started the inning with walks. Je'Von Ward doubled to left to score Lujano with the tying run. Yeison Coca drove in McVey with the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly. Turang plated the final run of the inning with a two-out single for a 4-2 lead.
Meanwhile, Wisconsin starting pitcher Justin Jarvis had found his footing after a tough first inning. Jarvis allowed back-to-back singles to start the third inning with his team still trailing the LumberKings. Jarvis retired the next fifteen batters he faced to shut down Clinton. He tossed a professional single-game high for innings with seven, walked none, and struck out five to put himself in position for his first Midwest League victory.
David Fry added an insurance run for the Udder Tuggers when he hit a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh for a 5-2 lead.
Victor Castaneda and Anthony Bender each worked a scoreless inning to close out the game.
Fry, who also doubled in the game, has nine homers and 28 doubles this season.
Game two of the series is Friday night as the Timber Rattlers return to their original nickname to face the LumberKings. Reese Olson (2-4, 5.32) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Clinton has named George Soriano (0-5, 5.01) as their starter. Game time is 7:05pm.
Friday night is Wizardry Night presented by Neuroscience Group. The first 1,000 fans to attend this game will receive a pair of Wizard glasses. There will be characters from the movies and books, butter beer, and games.
Friday is also Strike Out Stroke Night with Neuroscience Group and the second of our two Peanut-Free Nights at the stadium. Special Memories Petting Zoo will have a display outside the stadium before the game, too.
Fans of legal drinking age may have Arty's Old Fashioned Drinks for $3 as part of an Arty's Old Fashioned Friday with 101.1 WIXX. Stick around after the game to see a fireworks display courtesy of FOX 11. Kids aged 14 and under may run the bases after the fireworks courtesy of Menasha Corporation.
If you can't make it out to the stadium, the radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:45pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
CLN 200 000 000 - 2 6 1
WIS 100 300 10x - 5 6 0
Click here for Thursday's Boxscore
WP: Justin Jarvis (1-0)
LP: Alberto Guerrero (3-2)
SAVE: Anthony Bender (4)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale