Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs opened the second half of the season with a 4-2 win against the Cedar Rapids Kernels Thursday night at Dozer Park. The first-place Chiefs match their best mark from the first half, starting 1-0.
The Chiefs struck first in the bottom of the second against Cedar Rapids starter Kody Funderburk. In his return to Peoria, Leandro Cedeno singled with one out and advanced to third on a double from Brandon Benson. Cedeno scored from third on a throwing error by Kernels center fielder Gilberto Celestino for the 1-0 lead.
Cedar Rapids took the lead in the top of the third against Chiefs starter Colin Schmid. Ricky De La Torre led off with a double and scored following a pair of singles to tie the game at one. A walk loaded the bases and Chris Williams hit a sac fly to score Jacob Pearson to give the Kernels a 2-1 lead.
Peoria tied the game in the bottom of the seventh against Kernels reliever Tyler Palm. Bryce Denton hit a leadoff homerun, his first of the season to tie the game at two in the bottom of the seventh.
The Chiefs regained the lead in the bottom of the eighth against Cedar Rapids reliever Carlos Suniaga. Juan Yepez reached on a throwing error by Kernels shortstop Wander Javier and Brendan Donovan followed with a two-run homerun, his fifth of the season, to put the Chiefs ahead 4-2.
Schmid took the no decision, pitching six innings allowing two runs on seven hits with one walk and seven strikeouts. Sebastian Tabata (3-1) earned the win, pitching two shutout innings allowing only one walk and notching two strikeouts. Freddy Pacheco pitched 2/3 of an inning allowing one hit and one walk with two strikeouts. Cole Aker pitched the final 1/3 of an inning striking out the final batter en route to his third save of the season.
The Chiefs continue their series with the Cedar Rapids Kernels Friday at 6:35 p.m. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. Peoria will start RH Michael Brettell (2-4, 4.50) against Cedar Rapids RH Luis Rijo (1-4, 3.05). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff