Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops
GENEVA, Ill. - The Kane County Cougars will take on a new identity as they change their name to the Kane County Atomic Pork Chops on select nights beginning Friday, July 19. Additional nights for the transformation include Sunday, July 28 and Thursday, August 8.
It all began with a simple brainstorming session. A combination of the Cougars close proximity to the world-renowned Fermilab, which specializes in exploring high-energy physics, along with a desire to pay homage to the Cougars signature pork chop sandwich is how the Atomic Pork Chops were born.
"Fans have been asking for us to create an alternate identity for a few years now," said Cougars Vice President and General Manager Curtis Haug. "We wanted to make sure whatever we came up with was a representation of our community, and Fermilab is a very important part of that with not only the work they're doing but the number of educational and family events they offer. We believe this combination of a local landmark as well as a signature Cougars item is an alternate identity that people can really have some fun with."
The players and coaches will wear specialty hats and jerseys for the games. In addition, fans will be able to purchase Atomic Pork Chops logo t-shirts and hats from the Cougar Den Team Store, located at Northwestern Medicine Field. A limited supply of Atomic Pork Chops merchandise will be available online in the coming weeks.
Fans will also be able to taste the new Atomic Pork Chop sandwich on the nights when the team takes the field in their alternate identity. The 10-ounce boneless butterfly pork chop will be smothered in a special atomic sauce exploding with flavor. The Atomic Pork Chop Sandwich will be available at the Wannemaker's Backyard Grill, located down the first base concourse.
Tickets for all remaining games, including the Atomic Pork Chop Nights, are on sale now at www.kccougars.com. Tickets can also be purchased over the phone by calling 630-232-8811 or by visiting the box office at Northwestern Medicine Field.
Images from this story
Kane County Atomic Pork Chops hat and uniform
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.