Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday
Dayton, Ohio - The Dayton Dragons invite fans to arrive at the ballpark early and take a trip back in time prior to the Dragons game on Saturday, June 22nd. The Vintage Baseball Classic at Fifth Third Field will pit the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame 1869 Red Stockings against the Eastwood Iron Horses in a match-up beginning at 5:30 p.m. Shortly after the conclusion of that contest, the Dragons will meet the Lansing Lugnuts at 7:09. Gates will open on Saturday evening at 5:15 p.m. Only Dragons tickets dated for June 22nd will be accepted for entry to the stadium.
Vintage baseball is an exact re-creation of the game as it was played in the 1860's. Games are played by the rules of that era and players wear the uniforms and use the equipment of the time period. Some of the differences from today's game include the absence of gloves, the use of just one umpire, and players helping the umpire make close calls with complete honesty.
A few differences between vintage baseball and the modern game are the fact a batter can be called out if a batted ball is caught on one bounce and the pitcher stands 45 feet from home plate and tosses underhand. Pitchers were referred to as "hurlers" and batters as "strikers" with the bat called a "willow".
In 1869, the Cincinnati Base Ball Club, which would later earn the Red Stockings nickname because of their uniform, became the first ever openly professional baseball team. That season, the club travelled across the country, playing on both the East and West coasts, and did not lose a single game. With a record of 57-0 they posted the only undefeated season in professional baseball history.
Today, vintage baseball clubs throughout Ohio and the Midwest, play games against one another and help educate people on a special time in the sport's history. Each summer they play a full schedule with home games taking place at local parks. The Red Stockings are associated with the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame.
After the Vintage Game and during the Dragons game, players will be outside the Dragons Den to interact with fans and take pictures.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2019
- Snappers drop second-half opener to Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Fall despite Yan's Strong Outing - Burlington Bees
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Open Second Half With Win Over Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Nuts Fall in 2nd Half Opener, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Anthony Contreras Sets Franchise Managerial Wins Record - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Early Offense Not Enough in Series Opening Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Adolph Narrowly Misses Cycle as Bandits Beat Beloit 7-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Peoria Powers Past Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Wins Second-Half Opener 5-2 Over Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Witherspoon Homers in 2-0 Win on Thursday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Pitcher's Duel Goes Fort Wayne's Way - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Earn Impressive Win to Start Second Half Season - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons to Wear Special Camo Jerseys on Friday; Jersey Auction to Follow - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps, Captains Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Promotions Abound as Second Half Opens - Clinton LumberKings
- Thursday's Captains vs. Whitecaps Game Postponed - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 20 at Great Lakes (Game 69/138) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Hosting "Vintage Baseball Classic" at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- RHP Layne Henderson transferred from Corpus Christi to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Gabriel Maciel promoted to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars to Take on New Identity as Kane County Atomic Pork Chops - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen